Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Power steering pump noise that was NOT a faulty pump.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 02:40 AM
Default Power steering pump noise that was NOT a faulty pump.

My H3 3,7 had a loud whine from the power steering pump, seemingly with the onset of winter. I went through a few Youtube videos and one suggested adding a Power Steering Oil Conditioner. I did this and the noise went from only when cold to being continuous. I thought it was a fault on the pump and replaced the pump. The noise got worse with the new pump. I was then advised that maybe the new pump was faulty so I changed the pump for the second time. The noise was still there and the only common denominator was the reservoir. I then recalled a post I saw that mentioned there was a filter within the reservoir, so the next step was to replace the reservoir (which was almost impossible to source) and the problem was solved. I then had to confirm that there indeed was a filter in the reservoir and embarked on some destructive testing. See pics of the old reservoir with the blocked filter on the left compared to the filter of a new reservoir on the right. This was an experience that I had to share.

Old 08-02-2021, 06:43 PM

Flush works and cheaper. Hire a professional with a flush machine or you can DIY:

Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Flush works and cheaper. Hire a professional with a flush machine or you can DIY:

https://youtu.be/A0fiZCHz5ew
Thanks! I've been having this issue for years but every time I go to start changing it out I tell myself, "it's not that bad, it can wait"

Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hummer Africa
My H3 3,7 had a loud whine from the power steering pump, seemingly with the onset of winter. I went through a few Youtube videos and one suggested adding a Power Steering Oil Conditioner. I did this and the noise went from only when cold to being continuous. I thought it was a fault on the pump and replaced the pump. The noise got worse with the new pump. I was then advised that maybe the new pump was faulty so I changed the pump for the second time. The noise was still there and the only common denominator was the reservoir. I then recalled a post I saw that mentioned there was a filter within the reservoir, so the next step was to replace the reservoir (which was almost impossible to source) and the problem was solved. I then had to confirm that there indeed was a filter in the reservoir and embarked on some destructive testing. See pics of the old reservoir with the blocked filter on the left compared to the filter of a new reservoir on the right. This was an experience that I had to share.

Nice writeup and pics man, I know this was my problem also but the job always seemed too tedious, or maybe I'm just too lazy

Old 08-04-2021, 03:11 AM

Thank you. Appreciated.