Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Power Locks and Driver Side Window not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 PM

update

If all else fails just unhook the battery for about 30+ mins and all should reset

Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by SwillRacer
I've got the same symptoms as everyone else in this thread. I've read and done everything suggested in this thread to cure the problem. I replaced the battery (it was 6 years old anyway and failed on the battery tester and it wouldn't start after an overnight charge either so that was due - don't know if its tied in to this door lock/d-window switch problem), I also touched the battery wires together, checked fuses 8 and 68 (they were all good), and I also switched #77 PCM Control w/the one above it. Still no luck.

Should I just give up and take it to the dealer? I would like to not have to cave in to 'the man' and pay megabucks to get this fixed, but this is the vehicle my wife hauls the kids back/forth to pre-school in so its a major inconvenience for her to be dealing with two kids under the age of 5 and manually setting the door locks. Admittedly, I'm a Ford guy - but we love our H3 - and I spend a lot of time wrenching on mustang drag cars so I do know thing or two about cars (well, mustangs) so if anyone has 'the absolute answer' to this problem I'm not afraid to dive in and try to fix it myself since the warrantee has been long gone for awhile now. It doesn't sound like there has been one 'cure all' for this odd-ball, but sort of common problem. This thread is pretty old, so I'm hoping someone out there has definitively solved this sucker in the mean time and would post up!

Thanks guys/girls!!
Just wanted to be sure to jump back on here and post up. The day after I posted the above message, after having tried everything is this thread without immediate success, the locks and D-window worked again and have worked flawlessly ever since. Basically, it sat overnight after having done everything above. Went out to the garage the next morning, used the manual key entry to get in and drove to work where I manually locked the doors. I figured it wasn't going to work right anyway, so why bother with the fab and just get all PO'd again. That night, left work and just for ****s and grins I hit the key fab unlock button and everything worked. I drove it for a few more days w/o incident just to be sure the fam wouldn't get stranded and then turned it back over to the wife and kids. Zero problems.

Maybe the computer just needed time to sort itself out? I don't know......who cares. It works now.

Last edited by SwillRacer; 02-24-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 PM

I, too, have fell victim to this issue and I'm guessing there's still no end-all-be-all answer to fix it.

I've tried a few of the different solutions that have been mentioned include unhooking the battery and re-hooking it back up. I've also tried a new PCM fuse (#77) to no avail.

I guess I'll try the unhooking the positive side for 30 minutes and hooking it back up and the "terminal touch" method in hopes that that will resolve the problem.

When replacing the PCM fuse, should there be a wait time expected for the computer to sync up or anything or for those who it worked for; was it an instant fix?

As with you all, this issue has me both incredibly frustrated and confused. Wish me luck!!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM

I noticed today after having to jump my 3 yet again and driving it around when I got back to my garage and popped the hood after turning the car off the terminals/battery posts were smoking a decent amount. There battery was rather hot & there was a slight hissing or draining sound coming from it.

Others who have had this problem, is this something you noticed?

Old 06-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Duddy
I noticed today after having to jump my 3 yet again and driving it around when I got back to my garage and popped the hood after turning the car off the terminals/battery posts were smoking a decent amount. There battery was rather hot & there was a slight hissing or draining sound coming from it.

Others who have had this problem, is this something you noticed?
You have a short.

Open the back door, look for wires rubbing the body under the door sill above the bumper that feed the license plate light. This may not be your specific problem, but it is common. Killed my battery a few times before I discovered it.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the response, Doc.

Long-story-short everything is working again!!!
I replaced the battery with a new one since it needed to be changed anyway. Got the new battery hooked up & poof! working driver's window and door locks. I don't know if it was more leaving the battery unhooked long enough for the computer system to reset itself or the new battery that fixed the issue. Either way I don't care. I'm just glad to have a healthy 3 back.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM

I had the same on again off again problem, no pun intended. When I replaced my battery terminals with aftermarket brass ones I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Default no lock no window

so let me get this straight- ive been reading the posts and some conflict. I unhook just the pos? or the neg? or both? Unhook then touch cables?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:40 AM

Touching the pos and negative cables is an old wives tail in my opinion. It has never worked for me the 6 times this has happened to me. But, replacing my battery or charging the battery has worked 100% of the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Smile Window and Lock panel

Had the same issue about a year ago and tried all the mo jo tricks of the trade and finally bought a new panel from Amazon for about 200.00. Popped the old one out and plugged in the new one and presto whamo everything worked. The windows, the locks and the FOB. Yes it could be the switch panel itself. Good luck on yours!

Quick Reply: Power Locks and Driver Side Window not working