Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

PLEASE HELP unidentified Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 01:38 PM
Red face PLEASE HELP unidentified Clunking noise

someone please help me figure this out i have a 2006 hummer h3 3.5 auto, ive replaced all ujoints, bump stops,driveshaft,crossmember bushing, all shocks, all tie rods, brake calipers, timing chain, all plugs and coils, maf, vvt solenoid, waterpump, thermostat, radiator, transpan gasket i know most of the parts are irrelevant to the clunking but i figured id add it in. BUT when i put the hummer into drive it clunks also when i accelerate from a coast its SO ANNOYING WTF IS IT!!! im not giving up i need to figure this out the shop says its my transfer case but i dont think so. i only replaced the one big cross member bushing i know theres a few small ones but i cant find the procedure to replace them. and what if thats not the problem either! idk please god someone give me a lead

Old 03-16-2023, 02:05 PM

Have you checked your motor mounts? maybe they are torn.

Old 03-16-2023, 02:11 PM

If you throw enough shlt at a wall, something is bound to stick.

Check:
Front Differential Mount Bushing
Front CV Joints
Front Propeller Shaft CV Joint
Engine Mounts
Transfer Case

Old 03-16-2023, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

All that an NO Mention of MILES on the truck??????????

How long have you had 06 H3? Is it your first full time 4X4 vehicle? You mentioned driveshaft, there are two: front and rear. There are two half shat drive axles: left side & right. Which/what are you referring to?

If you replaced the front drive shaft U joint, but not the CV joint at the rear of the front drive shaft, that can cause clunking and vibration.

Look up drive line slop. Might be applicable if we were aware of miles on the vehicle.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
Have you checked your motor mounts? maybe they are torn.
motor mounts are good!

Old 03-16-2023, 03:44 PM

180k miles, rear shaft u joints both, front shaft replace the complete shaft with u joint, i also have replaced the front left axle

Old 03-16-2023, 11:37 PM

I feel this post I’m new 06 owner feel like never gotta get it don’t I’ve replaced so much as well I still have weird vibration at 900 rpm’s still can’t figure out

Old 03-17-2023, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Driveline slop. Not unusual in most 4X4 vehicles, especially after 180K miles. Every GM 4X4 I have owned had it to one degree or another. H3s have a trans, T Case, front & rear diffs and are always FT 4X4. There is going to be movement in and out of gear, on and off the throttle unlike a FWD car.

Rebuild the rear diff with new gears and pinion, might go away for a while.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Igambletoomuch
someone please help me figure this out i have a 2006 hummer h3 3.5 auto, ive replaced all ujoints, bump stops,driveshaft,crossmember bushing, all shocks, all tie rods, brake calipers, timing chain, all plugs and coils, maf, vvt solenoid, waterpump, thermostat, radiator, transpan gasket i know most of the parts are irrelevant to the clunking but i figured id add it in. BUT when i put the hummer into drive it clunks also when i accelerate from a coast its SO ANNOYING WTF IS IT!!! im not giving up i need to figure this out the shop says its my transfer case but i dont think so. i only replaced the one big cross member bushing i know theres a few small ones but i cant find the procedure to replace them. and what if thats not the problem either! idk please god someone give me a lead
There is a video on YouTube, where the dude replaces the other bushings your talking about. I know this clunking demon all to well and I can tell you from the front lines of the battle it never went well. I fought the good fight precious and then sold my Jeep TJ. Which was only a few years old at the time. Could never figure it out. OH well, it brought me to my 07 H3.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:45 AM

Get a go pro and video the front drive line while replicating the noise. Look for whatever is moving when it shouldn't. Look at upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, differential bushings (x3), drive shaft. Make sure the noise isn't actually coming from the back - there check your leaf spring bushings.