PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Front u-joint noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Default Front u-joint noise

Okay, need a little help here. I've already had my front propshaft replaced once for a bad u-joint. It sounded like pennies rattling around in a can. Now this u-joint seems to be making the same sound but ever so faintly. I can't consistently replicate it, even when I drive next to a wall to bounce the sound back. Finally, I crawled underneath and banged on the front propshaft with the heel of my hand. I heard the same noise of pennies rattling in a can.

So am I being a hypochondriac? Does anyone want to go under their H3 and try the same thing? I don't know how the u-joint is constructed so I don't know if this sound is normal or that of a failing part. I have an appt. in the morning but I don't want to go in a have them tell me that there's no problem.

I do take it offroad but I haven't done anything serious since the last replacement, certainly haven't applied heavy torque to front wheels trying to climb rocks or anything.

Thanks in advance.
[/align]

Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Default RE: Front u-joint noise

i think there is a problem

Old 11-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

You did not describe any clunking, like when you shift from fwd to reverse??? Your pennies in a can is not the norm? But what it is, I'm not sure.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Hey rock. I have the same problem. I'm taking it to the dealer TODAY actually to get that checked.

The problem I as told by my friend (HummerMike) at the dealer is that some H3's have had the ball joints go bad and when that happens, it makes that rattling clanking noise. Mine happens when I make a hard turn and go over a bump, as with pulling out of my driveway and turning onto the street. The gap where the driveway meets the street causes the wheel to drop and it happens like clockwork every single morning or when driving.

Also, the intermediate shaft (the other clanky noise people talk about on here) is defective in alot of H3's and has to be replaced. That also causes the noise. That is going to be replaced today/tomorrow as well.

I have only off-roaded twice, so it's not that. I have bad luck like I have mentioned before

Get the ball joints and intermediate shaft checked. There are TSB's out on them. I have a '06 H3 5-speed mfr. Oct'05

Old 11-06-2007, 03:12 PM

It's very important that a drive shaft be "timed" and "balanced". I'm wondering if the balancers came off and it's trashing the U-joint?
Two things:
One- make sure your shaft is timed correctly. Meaning your U-joints are on the exactsame orientation with the shaft laid out flat.
Second- If the U-joints are OK take it to a reputable gear head shop and make sure your shaft is balanced.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

I wonder if the Torsion bar adjustments can cause that to happen, raising the front end. I've had mine raised for 20 to 25k miles and haven't had any problems, and just got an alignment done not too long ago.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM

Went to the dealer, they couldn't replicate it. I told them it was worse when cold, first thing in the morning (mid-50s). The of course waited until early afternoon, nearly 90, to test it. I don't think there's an immiment danger but it will get worse - and now it's documented with the dealer. I'm going to put over 3000 miles on it this month so we'll see what happens.

I was under the vehicle and couldn't find anything obviously loose. It looks like the balance weights are still on the driveshaft.

They also said my driver's side roof rail was cracked and replaced the front piece that starts at the windshield.

And my loaner car? 2008 H3, base model with no options but auto. It was interesting in that it didnt' have Onstar built in. I thought GM was touting this big time yet they leave it off of a premium model. The rear view mirror was only temp and compass and there was a blank installed where the Onstar antenna should be. Really liked having the window controls high up on the armrests vs. my early 07 model.
[/align]

Old 11-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mine is only happening when it's cold also. I just got off the phone withthem and told them this ironically. It's in the 30's today so they should be able to replicate it.

Rock: The test they told me to do if the bearings/joint is loose, is to jack that side of the car up until the front wheel comes off the ground, and try to move the wheel. You are trying to see if the wheel moves up and down like the way Camber is adjusted, not turning the wheel. If you can move the wheel by hand and it feels loose, that's how you tell the problem exists. I didn't have time to do that with mine (didn't have a sturdy enough jack either) but that's the test. Make sure the wheel is straight pointed forward before you jack the car up, and obviously make sure your parking brake is on so it doesnt move while your trying to move it.

I would do that before taking your trip, just to make sure.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet, somebody is not gonna need no stinking Onstar! [8D][8D]

Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM

C'Mon Doc..I love my OnStar!

Quick Reply: Front u-joint noise