Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP unidentified Clunking noise (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/please-help-unidentified-clunking-noise-46770/)

Igambletoomuch 03-16-2023 01:38 PM

PLEASE HELP unidentified Clunking noise

someone please help me figure this out i have a 2006 hummer h3 3.5 auto, ive replaced all ujoints, bump stops,driveshaft,crossmember bushing, all shocks, all tie rods, brake calipers, timing chain, all plugs and coils, maf, vvt solenoid, waterpump, thermostat, radiator, transpan gasket i know most of the parts are irrelevant to the clunking but i figured id add it in. BUT when i put the hummer into drive it clunks also when i accelerate from a coast its SO ANNOYING WTF IS IT!!! im not giving up i need to figure this out the shop says its my transfer case but i dont think so. i only replaced the one big cross member bushing i know theres a few small ones but i cant find the procedure to replace them. and what if thats not the problem either! idk please god someone give me a lead

bronxteck 03-16-2023 02:05 PM

Have you checked your motor mounts? maybe they are torn.

hummerz 03-16-2023 02:11 PM

If you throw enough shlt at a wall, something is bound to stick. https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...8554ca32de.gif

Check:
Front Differential Mount Bushing
Front CV Joints
Front Propeller Shaft CV Joint
Engine Mounts
Transfer Case

Doc Olds 03-16-2023 02:17 PM

All that an NO Mention of MILES on the truck??????????

How long have you had 06 H3? Is it your first full time 4X4 vehicle? You mentioned driveshaft, there are two: front and rear. There are two half shat drive axles: left side & right. Which/what are you referring to?

If you replaced the front drive shaft U joint, but not the CV joint at the rear of the front drive shaft, that can cause clunking and vibration.

Look up drive line slop. Might be applicable if we were aware of miles on the vehicle.

Igambletoomuch 03-16-2023 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck (Post 399265)
Have you checked your motor mounts? maybe they are torn.

motor mounts are good!

Igambletoomuch 03-16-2023 03:44 PM

180k miles, rear shaft u joints both, front shaft replace the complete shaft with u joint, i also have replaced the front left axle

Millertime045 03-16-2023 11:37 PM

I feel this post I’m new 06 owner feel like never gotta get it don’t I’ve replaced so much as well I still have weird vibration at 900 rpm’s still can’t figure out

Doc Olds 03-17-2023 10:05 AM

Driveline slop. Not unusual in most 4X4 vehicles, especially after 180K miles. Every GM 4X4 I have owned had it to one degree or another. H3s have a trans, T Case, front & rear diffs and are always FT 4X4. There is going to be movement in and out of gear, on and off the throttle unlike a FWD car.

Rebuild the rear diff with new gears and pinion, might go away for a while.

Happy Hummer 03-17-2023 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Igambletoomuch (Post 399261)
someone please help me figure this out i have a 2006 hummer h3 3.5 auto, ive replaced all ujoints, bump stops,driveshaft,crossmember bushing, all shocks, all tie rods, brake calipers, timing chain, all plugs and coils, maf, vvt solenoid, waterpump, thermostat, radiator, transpan gasket i know most of the parts are irrelevant to the clunking but i figured id add it in. BUT when i put the hummer into drive it clunks also when i accelerate from a coast its SO ANNOYING WTF IS IT!!! im not giving up i need to figure this out the shop says its my transfer case but i dont think so. i only replaced the one big cross member bushing i know theres a few small ones but i cant find the procedure to replace them. and what if thats not the problem either! idk please god someone give me a lead

There is a video on YouTube, where the dude replaces the other bushings your talking about. I know this clunking demon all to well and I can tell you from the front lines of the battle it never went well. I fought the good fight precious and then sold my Jeep TJ. Which was only a few years old at the time. Could never figure it out. OH well, it brought me to my 07 H3.

NMH3 03-20-2023 09:45 AM

Get a go pro and video the front drive line while replicating the noise. Look for whatever is moving when it shouldn't. Look at upper and lower control arm bushings, ball joints, differential bushings (x3), drive shaft. Make sure the noise isn't actually coming from the back - there check your leaf spring bushings.