Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Paint Systems for the H3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2021, 08:13 AM
Default Paint Systems for the H3

2007 205,000 miles and it's starting to show some corrosion. Thankfully only on the bottoms of the doors, and then only on the inside (you don't see it from the outside).
I'd like to take care of it now (or soon), and I thought this might be a decent time to get some experience with some painting. (Also, the decent body shops I've talked with won't touch this "repair" - they'll only replace and paint the doors). I've done some (though very little) body work previously, but only with rattle cans.
I'm decent at researching and reading, but I might need just a little bit of direction.

It appears that almost all paints today are an acrylic polyurethane - is that correct? I've been reading up on the dangers of urethane, so that is definitely weighing in on my decision. If this isn't correct, what paint system does (did) the H3 use?
Is there a decent (or better) place to start with getting the paint? Some people have told me that some car stores can get paint, others have said the dealership. Any difference in quality?
I understand about preparing the surface for paint, but are there any particular steps that need to be done when cleaning up the doors before applying primer/paint on the hummer?

Not trying to ask for a complete step by step "how to", just a few directions to get myself started.

BTW, I didn't see anything addressing my question using the search feature, but that doesn't mean it isn't there

Old 06-30-2021, 02:21 PM

if the metal has holes already from corrosion no matter how hard you try prep the rusted areas it will come back. you will have to cut out the bad areas and weld fresh metal. thats why body shops wont touch it. you would need a donor door for the metal or bend some up to fit. time wise replacing the door is what they do.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by brothapig
2007 205,000 miles and it's starting to show some corrosion. Thankfully only on the bottoms of the doors, and then only on the inside (you don't see it from the outside).
I'd like to take care of it now (or soon), and I thought this might be a decent time to get some experience with some painting. (Also, the decent body shops I've talked with won't touch this "repair" - they'll only replace and paint the doors). I've done some (though very little) body work previously, but only with rattle cans.
I'm decent at researching and reading, but I might need just a little bit of direction.

It appears that almost all paints today are an acrylic polyurethane - is that correct? I've been reading up on the dangers of urethane, so that is definitely weighing in on my decision. If this isn't correct, what paint system does (did) the H3 use?
Is there a decent (or better) place to start with getting the paint? Some people have told me that some car stores can get paint, others have said the dealership. Any difference in quality?
I understand about preparing the surface for paint, but are there any particular steps that need to be done when cleaning up the doors before applying primer/paint on the hummer?

Not trying to ask for a complete step by step "how to", just a few directions to get myself started.

BTW, I didn't see anything addressing my question using the search feature, but that doesn't mean it isn't there
One product I find super helpful to stop rust is called Fluid Film (<- link). It isn't paint but it penetrates metal and rust, saturating it with oil, which does not allow anymore oxidation (a.k.a. rust) to grow. It doesn't last forever, so it needs renewed applications down the road, but it really does work well. It can also be sprayed inside the frame rails, which is super helpful in stopping rust there, as well.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:01 PM

i had a 86 jaguar that would fluid film itself and my driveway.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
i had a 86 jaguar that would fluid film itself and my driveway.
Haha the hidden benefits of oil leaks. My '86 Astro engine bay was caked in oil/sludge and kept the engine bay nice and rust free