PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of HUMMER paint....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Default Speaking of HUMMER paint....

I read in nother post about paint fading and couldn't help but think about my own Victory red HUMMER H3 in the drive. From day one I thought it looked like it was painted with a nappy "not nappy headed" paint roller and the orange peel texture was a thing to behold. A friend of mine who owns a body shop and paints BMW's told me "...that's typical for GM paint but it sure makes them easy to color match and repaint." Sometimes I wonder why GM paint jobs suck so bad? How's yours?

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: Speaking of HUMMER paint....

coming from owning several BMW's, this was the first thing that i talked to the dealer about. so much so, they got the regional GM rep on the phone and we all had a long talk about the perceived "orange peel". apparently, yes it is inherent to GM's over the years (apparently so much so that in restorations of vintage corvettes and such, the pro paint shops try to do this on purpose to emulate the original GM jobs)the reason behind the orange peel look, specifically on the Hummers, is that GM applies the paint in a manner that is "heavier" knowing that the primary purpose is for off roading and that they're going to take some additional abuse. now whether this has merit or not is beyond my knowledge, but if it is BS, and it's just how GM's always been, i give the guys a solid nod for coming up with a reasonable enough answer for me to buy in.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Default RE: Speaking of HUMMER paint....

i think if they were thinking it would be offroaded they would apply a nice smooth paint job but then they should apply extra coats of clearcoat so you can buff out the offroading scratches when you need to.