PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar Renewal

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Default OnStar Renewal

For those on the OnStar renewal fence; I was able to jawbone the OnStar rep to $12.95/month for renewal after our free year expires this month; about 30% less than the $16.95 that the OnStar letter quoted. They extended our unused minutes for another year too. GM is being smart making OnStar standard on many models, I'd never have bought the option but now that I've used it, really like it.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OnStar Renewal

I added my On-Star to my Verizon wireless account. If you do that, you only pay the family plan rate of 9.99 a month and it uses your regular plan's minutes. It's just like having a second line on your Verizon account. I'm with you. I would have never payed extra for this but since I drive so much, it comes in VERY handy. Thanks for the heads-up!

Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

I added my On-Star to my Verizon wireless account. If you do that, you only pay the family plan rate of 9.99 a month and it uses your regular plan's minutes. It's just like having a second line on your Verizon account. I'm with you. I would have never payed extra for this but since I drive so much, it comes in VERY handy. Thanks for the heads-up!
Yeah, I know about the Verizon thing. I still have about ten months on Cingular contract to run out before we can do that.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:15 PM

Mike, Do you use your OnStar phone that much? I did the math for me and it was cheaper to buy units than to pay monthly.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I got the $12.95 rate today and got a deal on the remaining minutes. Had 99 minutes left that was about to expire. Added 30 minutes and got to keep the 99 minutes until 09/07.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 PM

Here's a good tip if you want to get the most safety and convenience out of OnStar hands-free personal calling:

1. Set your portable phone to forward calls "when not available" to your OnStar number. If you've got a GSM phone (Cingular or T-Mobile) it's selecable in your phone's menu. I'm not sure about Verizon or Sprint CDMA phones, in the past it was a feature that Verizon had to set up on your account but this may have changed now.

2. Whenever you get in your truck, simply turn your portable phone off or use the "flight mode" function if you've got it.

3. Incoming calls will then automatically forward to your OnStar system for hands-free calling.

4. Program your most used numbers into the OnStar voice control system with name tags for convenient and safe outboud calling.

5. Whenever you are out of your truck, turn your phone back on.

This actually inexpensive to do if you have a Verizon phone and add your OnStar to your family account. Unlike a Bluetooth kit, it's totally integrated into your truck, it doesn't drain your cellphone battery, you get better coverage with the OnStar external antenna, and there is nothing to install.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:40 AM

from what I was told by verizon is that to have calls forwarded you have to dial *-- forgot the numbers. but all call swill be forwarded until you dial *-- to turn call forwarding off...kinda sucks thats it's not available in the phones menu, I used that feature alot with my t-mobile phone.

I've had my onstar on my verizon plan for two months now and used 97 minutes the first month and 174 minutes the second from my onstar number.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 AM

That mechanized voice never hears me and always says "pardon?"

Old 09-09-2006, 07:40 AM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

from what I was told by verizon is that to have calls forwarded you have to dial *-- forgot the numbers. but all call swill be forwarded until you dial *-- to turn call forwarding off...kinda sucks thats it's not available in the phones menu, I used that feature alot with my t-mobile phone.

I've had my onstar on my verizon plan for two months now and used 97 minutes the first month and 174 minutes the second from my onstar number.

It pays you to be linked with verizon. I don't use that many minutes.