Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

No power after switching alternator. 2008 Hummer H3 z 3.7 l

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 06:21 AM
Default No power after switching alternator. 2008 Hummer H3 z 3.7 l

Put in a new alternator. Car was dying just stopped in the middle of driving it. Killing the battery which is only a couple mo this old

we had to jump it to move and and it started up with a jump however , once the new alternator is installed I can’t get a drop of power no ac lights nothing . Battery tests around 12 to 13 volts. Did some checking with multimeter and seems power makes it to the fuse box and out the fuse box and to the alternator yet there is. zero power and jumping does nothing.

key is stuck in ignition.

I think I need some help here. I have no idea what we missed. It was able to jump vendors the switch and now it’s deader than a doorknob

any advice or conclusions if anyone has experienced the same things It’s Stuck half way in my garage and I got to move it thanks ☺️

Last edited by Heatherlp9; 10-10-2022 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Add model
Old 10-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

If you took apart the fuse block, that is your problem. Many people do not know how to properly put the block onto the wire harness connectors underneath, You have to snap each harnes into the bottom og the fuse block, then snap the fuse block with connected harnesses back down into the tray.

Re-check your wiring.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
If you took apart the fuse block, that is your problem. Many people do not know how to properly put the block onto the wire harness connectors underneath, You have to snap each harnes into the bottom og the fuse block, then snap the fuse block with connected harnesses back down into the tray.

Re-check your wiring.
Doc, DO you mean that he should verify the wiring for the new alternator? Also, when the fuse block is temporarily moved, just how much finesse is required to correctly re-install it? Another thread just recently mentioned this factor...I can only imagine how difficult things can get with these issues that seem almost unavoidable. Thanks to the experience on this forum, we can move forward with fewer trouble.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

Re-check your wiring.
so I realized that my helper didn’t put the box together correctly. I have since re did this at least 5 times trying to make sure that each and every pin you h which is rather difficulty but I am getting power to the red cords that the mega fuse link up to but nothing from there is getting power and like I said I have re installed it about 6 turns. And going to try one more time right now. Could it possible be anything else. I was so excited to learn that was all it could be but now and defeated because of my attempts had all failed.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:20 AM

if you have silicone spray you can use it on the connectors to help the plugs slip in better and smoother.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:44 PM
Default Just tried again

So silicone spray would be okay. I can try that. I just did it again. Thinking I had it in the bag I was vet careful. The problem I think is my helper broke one of the pins on on of the cases and it’s making it more difficult the plastic pice that clips to hold it up. I’ll try some silicone. Would there be any other reason it wouldn’t start at this point. ??

Old 10-12-2022, 12:02 PM

make sure the cluster says it is in park position. sometimes the shift cable bushings go bad.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Take a look at this old thread, it might help you understand that getting the fuse block and harness connectors is a highly focused task............ No Power, new battery, stuck key

Like I said before, you need to get all the connections to the underside of the fuse block in place and spot on BEFORE you attempt to snap the fuse block back down into the lower tray.