PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Partial power after dead battery/alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Default Partial power after dead battery/alternator

2006 H3. Died on my wife this morning. AAA tested the battery and said it was good, but dead. Towed it home. Replaced the alternator and charged the battery. The following works: headlights, tail lights(including turn signals and hazards), power locks. What does NOT work: everything else, including dash lights, key stuck in ignition, stuck in Park, front parking lights/turn signals/hazards, won't turn over, radio, power windows.

Is there some kind of a reset I need to do to get everything working again?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:08 PM

Have you disconnected the battery cables and touched them together away from the battery???
also, replacing battery after alternator **** out is not to bad an ideal.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:54 AM

I have not. I will do that this afternoon. I was planning on pulling the negative cable for 30 minutes. I'll try touching the cables together as well. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
I have not. I will do that this afternoon. I was planning on pulling the negative cable for 30 minutes. I'll try touching the cables together as well. Thanks for the reply.
Does your 3 still have the crappy azzed factory POS Battery Terminal Connectors? If so, hack them off immediately and replace with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. Known failure point, cause all kinds of electrical Gremlins as the PCM and BCM are sensitive to minute voltage disruptions.

Old 09-28-2018, 04:29 PM

Ya, still have the factory terminals. I'll look into that.

Touching the terminals together and unhooking the ground for 30 minutes did nothing. Going to leave the negative disconnected over night and try that.

One thing I did not mention is that I pulled the fuse block out to get the alternator out. I did recheck that to make sure I got it back in correctly though. I'm going to pull it tomorrow and reconnect it again, just to make sure. Would pulling the fuse block require anything special as far as getting all the functionality back?

Old 09-29-2018, 02:27 AM
Default Terminals

I second old docs
my 3 used to do all kind of weird stuff, from key stuck in ignition and not turning to losing power momentarily at the highway
replaced terminals and never had an issue again!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Ya, still have the factory terminals. I'll look into that.

Touching the terminals together and unhooking the ground for 30 minutes did nothing. Going to leave the negative disconnected over night and try that.

One thing I did not mention is that I pulled the fuse block out to get the alternator out. I did recheck that to make sure I got it back in correctly though. I'm going to pull it tomorrow and reconnect it again, just to make sure. Would pulling the fuse block require anything special as far as getting all the functionality back?
Ding, ding, ding...... Yes in fact that likely is your problem. If I had that info I could have gave a better response. Plan on new Battery Terminal Connectors soon, but please take a look at this thread where I previously addressed the correct way to reassemble the fuse block into the bottom holder tray: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...se-help-40185/

Let us know if you still need help after you redo the fuse block to wire harness connectors.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:47 AM

Got it. Totally my fault. I did not have the one plug properly seated to the fuse block underneath. Took the fuse block back apart this morning, re-connected everything, and all is well.

EDIT: Thanks for the response Doc Olds. I redid it before looking at your response, Definitely should have mentioned that at the beginning. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Last edited by Zeppelin; 09-29-2018 at 09:50 AM.