Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Need some clarification before purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Default Need some clarification before purchasing

I been researching H3s for a couple of days now and some people say I have only done regular maintenance and they are incredibly reliable on mine then you see some post I see talk about motor and transmission failure? What gives?

Old 12-22-2019, 04:18 PM

Old 12-22-2019, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by gsumann
I been researching H3s for a couple of days now and some people say I have only done regular maintenance and they are incredibly reliable on mine then you see some post I see talk about motor and transmission failure? What gives?
My transmission died on my h3 because the radiator cracked and coolant mixed with trans fluid. Not sure if I could've avoided it becuz it happened internally. But I'm not an expert. The solution was to install an external trans cooler. If you're looking at used H3's the red flags I'd check for are the condition of the radiator (look for cracks) and look at the undercarriage for rust. Other than my transmission it was pretty reliable with regular maintenance.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Kinda like Amazon reviews, some people are complete friggin Morons, others not so much.

If you are looking at H3s, they all are basically 10 years old now. Most 10 year old vehicles do not fair so well when the owner just adds gas and drives. So, by now if you are looking at one that has never had its transmission fluid and filter changed, never had the T Case fluid changed, never had the front or rear differential fluid changed, never had the coolant changed, regardless of miles on the ticker, that just might cause some concern.

I've had two, my 07 needed an Air Bag module this spring, other than that, all has been zero issues.

Old 12-23-2019, 03:22 PM

I brought Hummer without any knowledge of cars. Was sold a run down car that had transmission with water, worn shocks, god knows when changed fluids, sagging doors, electronics re-soldered by drunks probably(aftermarket radio, aftermarket alarm, cables tapped in all kinds of strange places.).
Found problems as I time went on, spent half of car cost just to get it road safe.
Still plenty to do.
Like the car, like no other!

Could be way easier to deal with that in US, not so in 3rd world countries

Old 12-23-2019, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by LatvjuAvs
I brought Hummer without any knowledge of cars. Was sold a run down car that had transmission with water, worn shocks, god knows when changed fluids, sagging doors, electronics re-soldered by drunks probably(aftermarket radio, aftermarket alarm, cables tapped in all kinds of strange places.).
Found problems as I time went on, spent half of car cost just to get it road safe.
Still plenty to do.
Like the car, like no other!

Could be way easier to deal with that in US, not so in 3rd world countries
Again, HUMMER is NOT a "car":
PASSENGER CARS:

Passenger cars tend to be used by smaller families and garner better fuel efficiency than trucks.

-- Examples: Subcompacts, such as the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa; Compact cars such as the Ford Focus and Honda Civic; mid-size cars such as the Toyota Prius and Hyundai Sonata and full-size sedans like the Chevrolet Impala and Ford Taurus. Station wagons such as the Subaru Outback and Kia Rondo are typically included in this category, too.
TRUCKS:

-- Technically speaking, the trucks most people drive are called light duty trucks and include a wide range of vehicles, including, SUVs and crossovers. They don't include tractor-trailer rigs that haul freight for businesses. Those kinds of trucks are called heavy commercial vehicles.

-- Light duty trucks typically weigh between 4,000 pounds and 8,500 pounds. They are often used to ferry large families, to haul boats and trailers and for off-road driving. Most trucks and utility vehicles get fewer miles to the gallon than passenger cars.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Again, HUMMER is NOT a "car":
PASSENGER CARS:

Passenger cars tend to be used by smaller families and garner better fuel efficiency than trucks.

-- Examples: Subcompacts, such as the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa; Compact cars such as the Ford Focus and Honda Civic; mid-size cars such as the Toyota Prius and Hyundai Sonata and full-size sedans like the Chevrolet Impala and Ford Taurus. Station wagons such as the Subaru Outback and Kia Rondo are typically included in this category, too.
TRUCKS:

-- Technically speaking, the trucks most people drive are called light duty trucks and include a wide range of vehicles, including, SUVs and crossovers. They don't include tractor-trailer rigs that haul freight for businesses. Those kinds of trucks are called heavy commercial vehicles.

-- Light duty trucks typically weigh between 4,000 pounds and 8,500 pounds. They are often used to ferry large families, to haul boats and trailers and for off-road driving. Most trucks and utility vehicles get fewer miles to the gallon than passenger cars.
Brilliant!

Old 12-23-2019, 08:26 PM