Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Knock sensors replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 07:06 PM
Default Knock sensors replaced

Wife loves this truck. We have owned it 3 months and haven't put 400 miles on it yet. One thing after another laying it up. This weekend I replaced the knock sensors after it throwing the circuit codes when I tried driving it on the highway. I was surprised to find the rear sensor was completely submerged in water.

Under water

Guess which was the rear one

Old 10-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Yep - common issue on the GM LS engines..... Hope you replaced them with genuine ACDelco ones. Others are junk and generally do not last long (also also spin in their casing when trying to remove them). Also good to replace the harness too and then seal the new rubber plugs with high temp rtv.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Yep - common issue on the GM LS engines..... Hope you replaced them with genuine ACDelco ones. Others are junk and generally do not last long (also also spin in their casing when trying to remove them). Also good to replace the harness too and then seal the new rubber plugs with high temp rtv.
No on the ACDelco. That didn't come up and I bought a Dorman aftermarket kit with both sensors and harness. Hopefully the anti-seize will save me if I have to pull them. Yes, I did seal the plugs and build a dike.

Old 10-29-2019, 02:50 PM

Should be okay as Dorman does tend to be very picky about the quality control of their suppliers.... for sure better than no-name Chinese ones. Worst case on a bad cheap one that spins is you have to hammer a chisel into it and use a pair of vise grips to rotate that. Done it more than once. Really not too bad but getting the intake and everything off is still a project. lol

As long as you sealed them they should be fine. Never spray water towards the ends of the intake when cleaning under the hood of an LS based engine.