Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Identify this on the Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Default Identify this on the Steering Rack

My 50K BtoB warranty will be up shortly on my 2010 H3 Alpa/Offroad and I am going to the Dealer next week to have a couple of things fixed. Top on my list is a leak coming from the Steering Rack. My mechanic says it is the Backlash Adjustment Port. See attached pic. The Tie Rod boot is also wet likely coming from the same place and I did have to add fluid. I just want to have my terminology right when I talk to the Service Adivisor. I also have about 1/8 inch lateral play at the passenger side rack mount bushing. I think this is normal but with all the rack mount bushing threads floating around I though I would check. Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails Identify this on the Steering Rack-steering-rack-leak.jpg  

Last edited by RKSmith163; 05-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM

bearing cap, end cap, end plug, yoke adjustment, etc... anything you call it will let your service advisor know where to look. Input shaft seal and or end/piston seals could be your source of leak and running down on the bearing cap.
Best way to diagnose is adding a tracer dye to the system and check with uv light to find source of leak.
No not normal, maybe common, but should not be leaking nor loose anywhere. Just checked mine '07 with 73k miles, and the entire rack is dry.
GL

Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM

RK, Not sure wxactly what a GM tech would call that area of the steering rack. But, I do know it is not suppose to leak there!

A decent dealer will see the leak and replace the rack for ya. If they don't .... go see another dealer.

Since you are nearing the 50K mark may I suggest that after you get the new rack you contact the nice and knowledgeable peeps @ Outfitter Design ( OUTFITTER DESIGN - Company Mission ) and get their HUMMER H3 STEERING RACK REINFORCEMENT KIT. It solves both the loose OEM mount issue and the rubber mounting bushings with a single kit! I have their "FRICKIN' BEEFY" HUMMER H3/H3T tie rod kit and I am saving up for the reinforcement kit.

Hummer H3 Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit - OUTFITTER DESIGN

Old 05-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Thank you both for the information. I have been to the same Dealership though 3 H3's since 2008 and warranty work has never been a problem. I hope that remains the case. I have been looking at the reinforcemnet kits. That is on my list for later on.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Default Update on Warranty Items

As the mileage portion of my 4 yr. 50K warranty was about to expire, I had the Dealership fix a few things. They replaced the leaky Steering Rack. It included both inner and outer tie rods. The leather just above the controls on the drivers seat was cracking, they replaced the seat bottom cover. Fixed the usual rusty spot on the bottom lip of the driver's side rear door. Replaced the Tailgate hydraulic assist cylinder and the driver's side roof trim that had a deformation in it. The steering is much tighter now which confirms what everyone knows, that over time the rack bushings get play in them. I looks like a rack bushing upgrade in in my future. The work was done at Flow Cadillac in Winston-Salem, NC. Their service has been excellent over the last 5 years on all 3 of the H3's I have owned.