Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Hummer Stalls during hot days :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Default Hummer Stalls during hot days :(

Hi Everyone,
I am seeking help everywhere I can now, I bought my hummer about 2 years ago and never had any issues until now, the engine dies constantly and that has become a nightmare. Hummer usually runs good until we stop at a street light and try to regain speed, sometimes it even dies when we are driving at low speeds. The symptoms that I have noticed are:
-ngine runs hotter than normal, usually the needle is above the middle during hotter days and it fluctuates back and forth.
-When the engine dies it usually starts again after 1 or 2 min.
-Once it re-starts "check engine" light comes on, and it disappears once we get home and stop the car.
-Mechanics haven't found any codes.
-So far I have replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the air intake, throtle body, changed one ignition coil and changed the thermostat and our friend keeps
acting up

I wonder if any of you guys have any suggestions? is it possible that the fan clutch or the water pump may be causing this problem?
Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:40 AM

I had a similar problem with another truck I had and found that the fuel injection pump relay was bad. It would stall at lights and low speeds and it won't show a code during diagnostics. Good luck...Hope this helps...

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks JRV, I will check that today to see if it helps.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:32 PM

No, it didn't work. The relay was good. perhaps it would help if I clean the radiator?
??????

Old 12-29-2022, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by 2008h3denver
Hi Everyone,
I am seeking help everywhere I can now, I bought my hummer about 2 years ago and never had any issues until now, the engine dies constantly and that has become a nightmare. Hummer usually runs good until we stop at a street light and try to regain speed, sometimes it even dies when we are driving at low speeds. The symptoms that I have noticed are:
-ngine runs hotter than normal, usually the needle is above the middle during hotter days and it fluctuates back and forth.
-When the engine dies it usually starts again after 1 or 2 min.
-Once it re-starts "check engine" light comes on, and it disappears once we get home and stop the car.
-Mechanics haven't found any codes.
-So far I have replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the air intake, throtle body, changed one ignition coil and changed the thermostat and our friend keeps
acting up

I wonder if any of you guys have any suggestions? is it possible that the fan clutch or the water pump may be causing this problem?
Any answers will be greatly appreciated.
Hey 2008h3denver
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have had the same issue exactly as you described, the last 2 summers. TIA

Old 12-29-2022, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AussieH3Hummer
Hey 2008h3denver
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have had the same issue exactly as you described, the last 2 summers. TIA
Oh Boy......... a resurrected TEN YEAR OLD THREAD!!!!!!!!!! There is an award to be given for that one.

NO he did not, and if they did, we will NEVER KNOW as 2008h3denver's Last Activity was: 07-18-2012 05:10 AM

READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'
Do not dig up old threads, post a NEW Thread including year, model, miles, symptoms, scanned codes, and a description of any work done just before the problems started, if applicable.