Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Help with sub install

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Default Help with sub install

Hey, i want to install a subwoofer kit in my h3.

Its an alpha with monsoon system.
My idea is to buy a kit that contains 2 12" woofers + amp + box and put it in the back.
I think the best way to do this is to disconnect the original woofer and leave it in place, then ill just take the 4 wires from the woofer and connect them to the aftermarket amp(is this possible with some sort of converter?) and then pull some pwr from the battery.

What do you think?

Old 09-12-2010, 06:15 PM

Good luck. My wife and I both have the Monsoon stereo in our vehicles and her amp was acting up a few weeks back. I called a reputable stereo store to ask what could be done and they said either replace the factory amp or you'll have to replace the entire stereo. Supposedly you can't even replace any of the speakers with aftermarket because they run on a certain ohm setting and are set up just for the Monsoon system. Kind of crazy, but that's how good old GM makes their money. You'd have to rewire the whole system.
I ended up replacing her factory amp with one I found at a salvage yard for $5 and it works like a charm! Gotta love the salvage yard finds!
Anyhow, you should take it to a respectable stereo shop near you and ask them. They should be able to help you without charging to look at it. I tried to install a sub and amp in my Range Rover, which had the Harman Kardon stereo system and got the same answer. It wouldn't allow them to install the sub and amp without rewiring the entire stereo. They put it all back together and didn't charge me a thing.
Hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2010, 02:21 AM

The problem with the monsoon system is the amp in the back also helps supply power to the door and front speakers in the truck. I had a slim box ( about 7-8" thick) built with two rockford fosgate 10's they are shallow mount but have double magnets which make them hit harder. I put a aftermarket amp where the monsoon amp and sub would have gone. Now a little wire runs from under the left cargo spot and connects to my sub box which i can take out whenever i need the extra room.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:18 AM

if I understand you correctly you're wanting to disconnect the wires from the Monsoon sub and connect to your aftermarket amp. This will not work because the wires you're disconnecting from your monsoon sub are speaker wires and do not transfer the stereo signal that your amp needs. You can though disconnect the stereo(red and white, should be going into the "input" on the monsoon amp) from the monsoon amp and and buy 2 y-adaprters from RadioShack. 1 adapter for the red, and 1 adapter for the white. Buy 2 stereo cables, and connect 1 set of reds to the monsoon amp, and with the other connect the set of whites to your aftermarket amp.

this is the adapter:

there is no worry about dealing with the weird ohms that premium car stereos use, because you're only dealing with rca stereo cables here. The signal that the y-adapters are splitting does get weaker, but you'd only notice if you ran like 100 feet of cable, maybe. This is one of the things that cd-receiver companies boast about having a high pre-amp for the output to an amp. But for the short distance in a car, it's unnoticeable. It's really just a marketing ploy.

I've done this for my home theater, it's a cheap and easy way to keep from having to buy a switcher. I have not tried this with a car stereo, though it is the exact same concept.

Last edited by Manson75; 09-13-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr_T
Good luck. My wife and I both have the Monsoon stereo in our vehicles and her amp was acting up a few weeks back. I called a reputable stereo store to ask what could be done and they said either replace the factory amp or you'll have to replace the entire stereo. Supposedly you can't even replace any of the speakers with aftermarket because they run on a certain ohm setting and are set up just for the Monsoon system. Kind of crazy, but that's how good old GM makes their money. You'd have to rewire the whole system.
I ended up replacing her factory amp with one I found at a salvage yard for $5 and it works like a charm! Gotta love the salvage yard finds!
Anyhow, you should take it to a respectable stereo shop near you and ask them. They should be able to help you without charging to look at it. I tried to install a sub and amp in my Range Rover, which had the Harman Kardon stereo system and got the same answer. It wouldn't allow them to install the sub and amp without rewiring the entire stereo. They put it all back together and didn't charge me a thing.
Hope this helps!
Not true I had mine replaced with a custom fiberglass box with two Memphis Audio 12" M3's and a Memphis Audio 1100 watt amp. All you have to do is buy a harness for your radio whether it be stock or aftermarket. You can easily pick one up at any local car stereo place. I just had an estimate for a new box to be made and installed all round for like $400. I would suggest getting an extra decently high quality 12v battery because when I had my system still installed it would dim the headlights very noticibly when it I had it on medium bass. Some say buy capcitors but they just wont suffice.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM

not sure when you posted but Im running two kicker cvx on a marine jl audio 600 w amp behind a pioneer 6.2 aftermarket double din if you gou with aftermarket youll need some adapters to make it work

Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by dravid
not sure when you posted but Im running two kicker cvx on a marine jl audio 600 w amp behind a pioneer 6.2 aftermarket double din if you gou with aftermarket youll need some adapters to make it work
Says 2010 right in the date field.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dravid
HUGE help for the guy that hasn't posted here in TEN YEARS! READ: Old Threads/'Necro-Bumping'