PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:41 PM

what an awesome thread LMAO

Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by BERULAKIDE
I have a quick question. Which would be better for gas mileage. Or are both gonna be the same? And to fit the sc is there any mods you have to do or is it bolt on and go?
That's more of a turbo vs SC debate question, and I'm not going to turn this thread into one, as they never seem to end. All I was looking for is any interest in a turbo kit.

CK

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

So is it just bolt and go or for the s/c do u have to modiffy the hood or any other components to keep up with the added power???

Old 03-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Default No Turbo

I don't think a turbo kit would sell, since GM is not making Hummer's the anymore. Maybe back in 2008 you would have buyers when the Alpha first came out. also I live in the northeast and I have traveled from MA to SC for work, 98% of all Hummers I have seen if they are modified it's for offroad not for speed. Just my thoughts

Old 04-29-2013, 07:15 PM

I have an '06 H3 with the I5. I had a custom turbo set-up built/installed by a place here in Ogden, UT called Element Racing. He normally does imports, but he was curious to take the task of boosting my Hummer H3. I have a Garrett T3/T4 Hybrid turbo, .59 trim. He custom fab-ed the turbo header and down-pipe. Really nice wastegate/blowoff valve and a fairly large intercooler, aluminum radiator & shroud w/electric fans(15" pusher,17" puller). I'm running 11.5 pounds boost right now, so making about 407 HP. Insane for the I5! Had it tuned at Premier Auto Care in West Jordan, UT. They programmed it with PC Tuners base tune, and then dyno'd and road tested it to work out the kinks. Super smooth around town, and when the boost kicks in it's a hell of ride(: No heating issues to speak of. Which is to say nothing that differs from stock(; These trucks always seem to creep a bit on the temp gauge up long hills. But cools down immediately once leveled off. Anyway, I'll post pics soon. Of note, there is no dressing up the I5, it looks like a tractor engine! Thanks, Alec

Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM

Nice! I hope the motor holds up for you, have you had the head replaced before you installed the turbo? I have had the head problem on two of my 2006 h3s

Old 04-29-2013, 09:25 PM

The motor/transmission was installed brand new just before the install. I've heard about the 3.5 head issues, but so far it's good. Was thinking of porting the head, but the turbo installer told me that isn't necessary. I thought that might make it run a little cooler, but he said it wouldn't really make a difference. I don't really get into full boost very often, so I'm hoping it holds up(: Take care, Alec

Old 04-30-2013, 09:06 AM

I'm surprised they set you up for that much boost, 11.5 psi is pretty high for a completely stock N/A engine. They are the experts though, not me, I'm just a bit more conservative. You are running 91/92 octane now right?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:23 PM

Agree^^ On any motor with stock heads and internals, 5-7 lbs of boost is about all I'd want to show it long term.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM

Agree'd. I have backed the boost down to 8.5. I only had it up there for about a week or so. I had just installed the boost gauge. At 8.5 I'm still pushing about 360, so not too bad(: I do run 91/92 octane always since the turbo install. I appreciate the inputs. I'm still very much a rookie concerning these things. Don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems to be running even smoother after backing down the boost a bit. Anyway, thanks again, Alec

Quick Reply: H3 Turbo?