PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Default H3 Turbo?

Hey all, a friend of mine pointed me here, said I should check in and say hi. He's got the H3 (Alpha) and we're looking into doing up a turbo system for him, just wondering if there was really any interest in this community for such a product? I don't imagine too many do racing (compared to the vetts, mustangs, etc), but I figured I'd probe around real quick like and see what you all were about.

I understand there is a kit already for the 5cyl's, but it's mixed reviews. Not sure what would be more popular as the Alphas were limited in production.

Anyways, just wanted to get some quick feedback and say hey. Just to clarify, I do not have anything for sale, as I'm sure vendors have a specific set of rules, just merely doing some research to see if there is any interest in me becoming a vendor of this forum. And Mods, if you could PM me with info on how to set that up in the event that we do travel down that path, that'd be great.

CK

Old 09-02-2012, 05:47 AM

Welcome to the forums.

I've never seen any discussion of turbo-charging an Alpha, although I may have missed it if it happened. I have a supercharger on my Alpha and love it. Please start a Turbo thread if you guys carry through with the installation. I'd be interested to see the results.

I have a couple photos of ours with the 'charger...

Attached Thumbnails H3 Turbo?-resized-engine.jpg   H3 Turbo?-blower-installed-resized.jpg   H3 Turbo?-engine-bay.jpg   H3 Turbo?-dyno-report.jpg   H3 Turbo?-prepped-st.-ignace-2012.jpg  

Old 09-02-2012, 05:20 PM

I've seen and I-5 turbo H3 and it didn't end well at all. Many over heating problem and in the end he went with a supercharger kit. Only way I can see a turbo on a V8 is and STS kit. You can run it without a inter cooler and if you look up the Truck guys from power block TV, they did a full install on a Tacoma.

Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:11 PM

If I was going to go "forced induction" I've always been a fan of the Vortec V-3 SCi. Not only is it a "Paxton" type charger and 100% bolt on in 1 day. It has a liquid to air intercooler, a Bosch bypass valve, stainless steel piping, stand alone programmer and also comes with a new intake manifold cover (a nice little touch).

$6000.00 Complete is a little out of the budget though.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 PM

Since we are a turbo/kit manufacture, we'd only be concentrating on the turbo side of it. SC's are great, but with the power curve, adjust-ability, and no parasitic loss, I prefer turbos.

As far as rear mount....NO...and as far as running a turbo setup without an intercooler HELL NO! I've measured the IAT's on the STS w/o an IC, they're just out of control. This will be a front mount system with IC's, the whole nine.

We're going to start with the Alpha, because I have one available for use, and because I'm very partial to the LS platform. (We already have kits out for the C5/C6 Vette, GTO, 2010 Camaro). If there is enough demand I'll look into the 5cyl platform as well. I understand there is already a kit for the 5cyl, but like I said, I've heard mixed reviews and problems.

The Alpha is in R&D right now, so it IS going to happen. All I'm trying to do is see if there's enough interest to put this into production as an available kit, or if this should just be a one-offer.

CK

Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by CKatUPP
Since we are a turbo/kit manufacture, we'd only be concentrating on the turbo side of it. SC's are great, but with the power curve, adjust-ability, and no parasitic loss, I prefer turbos.

As far as rear mount....NO...and as far as running a turbo setup without an intercooler HELL NO! I've measured the IAT's on the STS w/o an IC, they're just out of control. This will be a front mount system with IC's, the whole nine.

We're going to start with the Alpha, because I have one available for use, and because I'm very partial to the LS platform. (We already have kits out for the C5/C6 Vette, GTO, 2010 Camaro). If there is enough demand I'll look into the 5cyl platform as well. I understand there is already a kit for the 5cyl, but like I said, I've heard mixed reviews and problems.

The Alpha is in R&D right now, so it IS going to happen. All I'm trying to do is see if there's enough interest to put this into production as an available kit, or if this should just be a one-offer.

CK
So basically you will post up useless non Hummer information looking for victims to supply you data?

In other words, a spammer.

Might want to look at vehicle purpose, weight, and total Alpha production numbers, it ain't a Mustang. Good luck.
Name:  3667946522.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  5.0 KB

Old 09-06-2012, 11:10 AM

I'm not quite sure I follow you....I haven't really posted any information yet...much less on non-hummer specific.

I really don't care how many were made, if there were a million made, yet only 2 people want a kit, it's not worth it. If there were only 50 made, yet everyone wants a kit....worth it. It also doesn't really matter what the intended purpose of the vehicle was, if someone wants to turbo one (which obviously at least one person does), and if it's a marketable item, that's the information I'm interested in. I know the 5cyl were much more plentiful, but I don't have one sitting in my lap at the moment to play with, if there is good demand on this platform, eventually I will get to that.

I'm making one irregardless, just trying to figure out if it's worth the time to jig it up so I'm able to duplicate it. That part takes ALOT of time and added expense, where as if there is no interest in them, I'll never recoup my investment back.

Obviously it's not a Mustang....And I'm sure I'll never sell as many as I would if it were a mustang. But I would think that you as an owner would not be trying to discourage a possible new vendor who'll cater to your platform and make parts for a somewhat limited market.

CK

Old 09-06-2012, 12:04 PM

Like anything else, you will find someone willing to pay for it. However, I don't think there is a big market for a turbo on an H3 - I5 or V8. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of turbos, I have a highly modified turbo powered car and for that it makes sense. For my H3T, I'd love a supercharger (not willing to spend the $$), or more N/A power, but I personally would never even consider a turbo unless you are talking turbo diesel. Turbo lag, higher RPM range before boost comes on, etc.. I know, proper turbo sizing can help a lot but for a truck a roots or twin screw supercharger just makes more sense than a turbo or centrifugal supercharger. I want instant controllable power for hill climbs, getting over rocks, etc.

I'm not saying don't make one, I'm sure you will get some sales. I could be wrong and the H3/H3T crowed may go nuts for them. I'm just giving one person's opinion that a turbo and an H3 do not make a good fit for anything other than a street queen or show car.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM

If an affordable kit could be produced, I would be all over it. For the regular gaiys like myself, ain't gonna happen. Either turbo or SC, you must have deep pockets. It's just not cost effective.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM

I have a quick question. Which would be better for gas mileage. Or are both gonna be the same? And to fit the sc is there any mods you have to do or is it bolt on and go?

Quick Reply: H3 Turbo?