Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 Electrical problem or water short?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Default H3 Electrical problem or water short?

Ok Hummer friends, bought my son a 2007 H3 for his first car, it is his dream come true but have had several frustrating moments. When it starts it runs like a dream! He truly LOVES it! (I'm jealous bc I want to drive it myself!) However after new battery, and main computer part that controls electric per mechanic, we went 3 weeks until a big rain hit again and BAM! Key stuck in ignition, no juice and can't jump start it! WTF! Why is this happening??? HELP PLEASE! I know we need to clean out sunroof drainage tubes bc it's getting the inside of car wet, but something must also be shorting out? Any ideas??? It's costing me a fortune so right now being stuck in front of my house is fine, but it needs to dry out then maybe I can jump it? Any suggestions??? Hummer MOM going MAD!!!

Old 12-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles but as you've stated drain tubes 1st and foremost need cleaning. Drying the Hummer out and change your battery connectors.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Wink

'Cleaning' is temporary....MODIFYING is permanent!

Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-29-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:19 PM

Thanks was able to view videos online on how to doit, my son & I are going to give it a shot. Do you suggest the running a cloth threw tube method or speaker wire???
Also I am nervous to take it apart, looking at it I'm not sure it's easy to get to...

Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 PM

When you speak of modifying are you referring to the drilling out of the T inside end of drain??? Looks easy enough on videos, but is that the permanent fix you are speaking of??? Or did I miss something?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 AM

This will give you a step by step with pics of a permanent fix: https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...n-tubes-28548/
It took me longer to make the 'fix' post than to do the fix.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 12-30-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:58 AM

I know we need to clean out sunroof drainage tubes bc it's getting the inside of car wet, but something must also be shorting out? Any ideas??
The BCM is right in the path if the drain tubes back up water into the floorboards. If your BCM gets wet you'll have all sorts of electrical problems. You'll want to make cleaning out and removing the X's from your drain tubes the first priority. Be very careful not to disconnect the tubes from the sunroof area by tugging or blowing compressed air as you'd then have to pull the headliner down to reconnect them. After you've drilled the X's out, pull up the kick plates and bottom trim, and pull up the carpet and foam and dry them out really well with a blow dryer, otherwise you'll end up with a moldy smell inside. After you've fixed the drain tube grommets, you can run some water down the holes inside the sunroof to verify that it's draining properly from the firewall.

Old 12-30-2018, 07:47 PM

get carpet bone dusty dry or floors will slowly rust away. ive had it happen in a few cars,jeeps are famous for it...

Old 01-02-2019, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

While everybody else has you chasing the sun roof drain tube mod, let me ask: Are you still using the POS crappy azzed Battery Terminal Connectors? If so, when you replaced the battery, you have now discovered why the OEM Battery Terminal Connectors should be hacked off and replaced with a quality aftermarket set like Stingers or your favorite brand. #1 known cause of electrical problems are the defective factory Battery Connectors, should be THE FIRST mod done to every H3/H3T.

BTW a key stuck in the ignition is GM's way of telling you your battery is dead, or not properly connected. Charge it, replace the terminal connectors, see how things are.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 PM

Ok, so we cleaned and modified the sunroof drain tubes, dried out carpet, changeed out the battery connectors, even got a new main computer part ($500 bucks!) it's responsible for the electrical charging system. New battery, alternators good, so I was thinking it was all solved... But it would NOT start again tonight!!!! Now the "check service charge system" showed up, got it started, let it run, and it went out again. This same thing came on last time we jumped it, but when we get it to a garage to check what it means the light goes out! HELP! I'm so upset and frustrated! Never have I loved a car so much but been so worked over!!!

Quick Reply: H3 Electrical problem or water short?