Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 declared a total loss over plastic parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2024, 11:49 AM
Old 03-01-2024, 11:51 AM
Old 03-01-2024, 11:53 AM
Old 03-01-2024, 11:57 AM
Old 03-01-2024, 12:03 PM

DIY, All 5 above NEW parts= $783.28+tax

Old 03-01-2024, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Justinh
A deer decided I didn't need a front grille. Every bit of the front plastic was damaged, but the repair shop told the insurance company parts have been discontinued, so it was declared to be totaled.

Anyone have experience finding quality aftermarket plastic body parts for the H3? I was told parts can be found on eBay, but I don't source of those parts.
Get your insurance company to write you a check below book value! DIY and pocket the rest of the $$$$$!

On a side note, my wife got hit in the rear on her 2020 GMC terrain. She took it in for an estimate and requested a check from the insurance company sent to us and received $480.00 in the mail. The lower bumper cover was popped out and had a scratch, I popped it back into the retaining clips and repaired the scratch=total cost>$0

Last edited by hummerz; 03-01-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:43 PM

Take any parts off you want and total it. Take that money and by another one in nice shape. Put said parts on lol! Done. Jmho
gf hit deer...ins totaled it. She got a brand new car of her choice [notice i said her choice lol] and moved on.

Old 03-01-2024, 05:21 PM

Update: My local agent convinced the company to remove the totaled label and let me try another repair shop. Here we go ... However, I think would have been way $$ ahead to take the salvage check, like Hummerz suggested. First time to deal with this, so I'm learning about it. If the shops bomb out again, I'll do the repairs myself.

Thanks so much for all of the parts hints. I was told also eBay was a good source for H3 parts.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Talk to your insurance company, get their check, but make sure they DO NOT mark your vehicle as a total loss as your title from there on will be branded.
I don't have a choice if I keep the vehicle, they'd give me a salvage title. But after it is made road worthy again I could get a clean title, so I'm told.

One part I haven't identified yet is a plastic splash shield-thingy between the bumper and lower radiator (not sure yet if it is actually damaged). 2010 I also need #5, but some GM parts sites say I don't

This truck is going to need some specialized repairs (simply because of parts availability) along with high-mileage work, but there is nothing else like it, as the ad says, so I'd like to keep it. I don't know what I'd get if I had to get something else.

Old 03-01-2024, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Justinh
Update: My local agent convinced the company to remove the totaled label and let me try another repair shop. Here we go ... However, I think would have been way $$ ahead to take the salvage check, like Hummerz suggested. First time to deal with this, so I'm learning about it. If the shops bomb out again, I'll do the repairs myself.

Thanks so much for all of the parts hints. I was told also eBay was a good source for H3 parts.

I don't have a choice if I keep the vehicle, they'd give me a salvage title. But after it is made road worthy again I could get a clean title, so I'm told.

One part I haven't identified yet is a plastic splash shield-thingy between the bumper and lower radiator (not sure yet if it is actually damaged). 2010 I also need #5, but some GM parts sites say I don't

This truck is going to need some specialized repairs (simply because of parts availability) along with high-mileage work, but there is nothing else like it, as the ad says, so I'd like to keep it. I don't know what I'd get if I had to get something else.
Just request a check for the estimate you receive UNDER BOOK VALUE! DO NOT ACCEPT SALVAGE TITLE IN RETURN! Get more estimates for repair and request the check sent to you, and DIY! BTW, front end removal/replacement is simple as a puzzle, yet with retainer clips, bolts, nuts, and screws. NOTE: the buck only caused cosmetic damage so no reason to worry about frame damage. Get yourself a check to cover the parts and restore like new.

Old 03-02-2024, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Just request a check for the estimate you receive UNDER BOOK VALUE! DO NOT ACCEPT SALVAGE TITLE IN RETURN!
To be sure @hummerz you are saying repair book value, not vehicle book value. Get repair shop estimates using their 'book values', have the check sent to me, and this avoids the salvage title altogether.

Quick Reply: H3 declared a total loss over plastic parts