Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

H3 2010 with ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 10:27 AM
Default H3 2010 with ticking sound

My H3 has a ticking sound when first started in the morning and stops when I drive the vehicle. Sometimes the engine is idle if the sound goes away. Think it’s a lifter or an exhaust manifold. How can it be diagnosed without tearing the vehicle down.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

Model and Miles?????? Needed for every question related to a possible mechanical issue.

1) Open the hood, check the oil level. Ticking is sometimes caused by low oil allowing lifters to dry out.
2) Start the engine, get out, look and listen, try to determine where the noise is coming from.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Default H3 2010

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Welcome to HF.

Model and Miles?????? Needed for every question related to a possible mechanical issue.

1) Open the hood, check the oil level. Ticking is sometimes caused by low oil allowing lifters to dry out.
2) Start the engine, get out, look and listen, try to determine where the noise is coming from.
The H3 has 124,000 miles and it’s the Luxary model. Have checked the oil and it’s fine.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Then it is a 3.7L I5. You should be aware that he Atlas Series engine has hydraulically actuated timing chain tensioner that requires the oil pressure to first come up to add the required tension to the timing chain. Over time the chain will stretch, but the tensioner has ratches that will eventually allow it to click over to the next position to correct for the slack in the chain. Sort of like self adjusting brakes worked.

When you first start the cold engine, if the chain is loose and before the oil pressure can come up to take up the slack, the chain may contact the insides of the front cover. It sounds like a rattle that immediately goes away.

What is happening is the chain is loose enough to slap but not yet loose enough for the tensioner to click over to the next position. Not all will do this, but a bunch can for a while. If this persists for a long time, you may have a timing chain that stretched too far, or tensioners that are worn and need to be replaced.

This can sound like a ticking depending upon the degree of sound. Since I/we cannot actually hear what you believe to be a problem, we really cannot offer any definitive diagnosis.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the information. I’ll have the dealer check it out. Pretty sure it’s the timing chain or the tensioner.