PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle at start up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Default Rattle at start up?

Has anyone had the problem of a rattle at start up? It only does this when it starts up. Once I start driving, the problem goes away. Any ideas on what it is and how to fix it?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Gonna need a bit more info to help. Like where does the rattle sound come from? Under the hood, under the truck, front or back.

W/o any further info. a guess would be you have a loose exhaust manifold heat shield?
When the motor is completely cool, see if you can bend it further away from the exhaust so it cannot touch.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Default Check The Timing Chain Tensioner

If it only does it when you first start the engine after it has been sitting overnight, the problem is with the timing chain tensioner.

The tensioner is activated, that is it adds tension to the timing chain by oil pressure. When you first start the engine, until the oil pressure comes up, the chain will "slap" or rattle. This is a warranty repair.

What happens is, over time, the chain stretches. The tensioner has a ratchet on it that lets it move up to the next position to accomodate the slack in the now stretched chain.

The design tollarences are such that the chain can be loose enough to slap yet not loose enough for the tensiorer to move to the next position. This is a design flaw that HUMMER will fix.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM

ok he also did not say what engine he had if it was an alpha or the 5 cyl. If he has an alpha the 5.3 get a bit of a carbon ring at the top of piston travel that can cause a tick or rattle sound, the sond quiets as the engine gets warmed up.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 AM
Default Albert

Originally Posted by Black HUMMER
If it only does it when you first start the engine after it has been sitting overnight, the problem is with the timing chain tensioner.

The tensioner is activated, that is it adds tension to the timing chain by oil pressure. When you first start the engine, until the oil pressure comes up, the chain will "slap" or rattle. This is a warranty repair.

What happens is, over time, the chain stretches. The tensioner has a ratchet on it that lets it move up to the next position to accomodate the slack in the now stretched chain.

The design tollarences are such that the chain can be loose enough to slap yet not loose enough for the tensiorer to move to the next position. This is a design flaw that HUMMER will fix.
I have the same problem since I purchased the 07 H3 and I have been to the dealer multiple times at last they replaced the tiiming chain tensiones and they said it was as a sign of good will but the noise was only reduced for a while and soon came back louder than ever. Now that they admitted the noise was there they tell me is normal, normal my foot.
Did they fix yours, and did the noise went away completely and not come back? I will be interested to know.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:55 AM

I also have the same noise when I first start mine. Mine does it worse when the engine is cold, but still will do it even when the engine is warm .And I have the 3.7. It is coming from the hood and it makes a sound of death sound for about 2-3 seconds.. but it is a loud, grating sound, that sounds like you are running a cement mixer with loose rocks kinda. I think Black Hummer hit it on the head. I will be taking mine to the dealer in the near future to see if they will can figure it out and fix it..

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Banned

next morning id pop the hood,pull the oil fill cap. right in there is the chain. start up, see how it sounds,stick your ear right there!!

Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Exclamation H 3 engine rattle/nose/knock cold start

Pay attentio if you have the infamous cold engine rattle/noise/knock when vehicle has been sitting for a few hours.

I am disapointed by the effort GM is making to convince H-3 owners that this in normal and their failure to provide a fix or a clear explanation of what is causing the noise.

I own two other GM vehicles with the Alpha engine and none of them make the noise.

SOLUTION: GM's lack of sincerity has led me to do the following at my own cost.

1- I am taking the vehicle to a GM dealer other than a Hummer dealer. It will be a Chevrolet dealer with certified technicians on the Alpha engines.

2- I am requesting an oil and filter change and having an oil and filter analisys for metal in the oil.

3- I am having the timing componets examined for signg of scraping and if possible a cold engine start without the cover on to see what is happening.

4- If the above faile to show any problems we will proceed to an engine teardown and inspection of the lifter bores and piston to cylinder bore clearances. Acoording to some engine rebuilders (certified) that i have spoken to other causes for this type of noise are:
a- Piston slap due to excesive clearance between piston and cylinder walls.
b- Lifter wooble again due to excessive clearance between lifter and lifter bore.

I will be paying the dealer out of my own pocket and perhaps put the issue to rest and be able to advise all h-3 owners of the results.

Stay tuned Let me know.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by albert
Pay attentio if you have the infamous cold engine rattle/noise/knock when vehicle has been sitting for a few hours.

I am disapointed by the effort GM is making to convince H-3 owners that this in normal and their failure to provide a fix or a clear explanation of what is causing the noise.

I own two other GM vehicles with the Alpha engine and none of them make the noise.

SOLUTION: GM's lack of sincerity has led me to do the following at my own cost.

1- I am taking the vehicle to a GM dealer other than a Hummer dealer. It will be a Chevrolet dealer with certified technicians on the Alpha engines.

2- I am requesting an oil and filter change and having an oil and filter analisys for metal in the oil.

3- I am having the timing componets examined for signg of scraping and if possible a cold engine start without the cover on to see what is happening.

4- If the above faile to show any problems we will proceed to an engine teardown and inspection of the lifter bores and piston to cylinder bore clearances. Acoording to some engine rebuilders (certified) that i have spoken to other causes for this type of noise are:
a- Piston slap due to excesive clearance between piston and cylinder walls.
b- Lifter wooble again due to excessive clearance between lifter and lifter bore.

I will be paying the dealer out of my own pocket and perhaps put the issue to rest and be able to advise all h-3 owners of the results.

Stay tuned Let me know.
With an I5 the noise is from the timing chain tensioner, no conspiracy theories involving any grassy knoll.

I could sarcastically say thank you for digging up a 3 year old thread again.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by albert
I'm a little confused. You have an 07 which has an Isuzu built LLR, which is a DOHC 3.7L inline 5 cylinder and you are also talking about H3/H3T Alpha engines which are 5.3L LH8 V8Gen IVs. 2 very different motors. Apples and Oranges?

Before you tear down the entire motor. check the inside of the timing chain cover for signs of "slapping".

Quick Reply: Rattle at start up?