PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a P0128 Code

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:45 PM

I have the same thing going on. P0128. Gonna try t-stat cause my temp gauge stays about 1/4... Leads me to believe t-stat is stuck open. I need to do a coolant system flush anyway. If that doesn't do it, I'll try the coolant temp sensor...

Old 10-21-2013, 12:14 AM

I learned the hard way when we first got ours replacing one thing after another and not fixing the problem and those parts add up after a little bit. could be Low engine coolant level leaking or stuck open thermostat faulty cooling fan (running too much) faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor, or a faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor
Yes, it very well could be the thermostat but it's best to start ruling out things first before just replacing things.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 AM

Well the coolant level and thermostat will be addressed with a system flush and fill which needs to be done cause I've got 80,000 on my truck and don't know when any service was done on it. The t-stat was $24. If the vehicle was warming up normally and kicking the CEL on, I'd be more inclined to think sensor but since it's not warming up properly, I'm thinking t-stat. If not, I've spent $24 on the piece of mind knowing I no longer have an 80,000 mile t-stat. The cooling fan clutch seems like a legitimate option but if the fan was running too much, it'd just be blowing on a radiator full of still coolant (since it hasn't warmed up enough to open a working t-stat). The coolant wouldn't flow till it got hot enough to open the thermostat and start cycling the coolant. If the t-stat was working correctly the coolant in the engine (which is where the coolant temp sensor is) would have an opportunity to warm up normally... But since the t-stat is open all the time, the coolant is always cycling through the radiator and never having a chance to warm up. The info I got from the obdII readout said low coolant, t-stat or coolant temp sensor. If I could test a thermostat without pulling it out of the engine I would. But since it's gotta be removed to do anything with it, I'll just replace it. I'm not getting any more codes or having any issues with the fan, I'll make a $24 bet and say t-stat.