Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

GBCM delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM
Default GBCM delete

I just bought an 07 H3 adventure. Have most of the bugs figured out except one. P.O. deleted the Generator Battery Control Module (GCBM), not body control module (BCM) as so many think. The alternator is charging. Battery is new but the battery light is on. I can find references to deleting GCBM but cannot find out if that's the cause of my light being on or if it can be turned off without replacing the the module. Any suggestions?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:02 AM

Sadly, anytime p.o.'s get into that much modifications it's hard to know what they did or why.
Stab in the dark possibly the PCM was no longer able to regulate (because if memory serves me correctly GM moved the regulator into the main brain) so they decided to bypass the gbcm so to be able to still have a charging system function without the expensive PCM/ECM brain change. Jeep forum members do this frequently on older Cherokee. If it is charging and the truck is running just leave it. On the other hand if it will keep you from passing state inspections you may need to undo all the stuff done.

Last edited by Happy Hummer; 02-11-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Hummer
Sadly, anytime p.o.'s get into that much modifications it's hard to know what they did or why.
Stab in the dark possibly the PCM was no longer able to regulate (because if memory serves me correctly GM moved the regulator into the main brain) so they decided to bypass the gbcm so to be able to still have a charging system function without the expensive PCM/ECM brain change. Jeep forum members do this frequently on older Cherokee. If it is charging and the truck is running just leave it. On the other hand if it will keep you from passing state inspections you may need to undo all the stuff done.
unfortunately he did a lot and knows nothing. Took 4 hrs to get home (3hr drive)because the damned thing shuts down if I run 65 + mph and it starts pulling a hill. Cleaned t-body and replaced thermostat and maf. Plate it tomorrow and drive again to see if it's still happening. Still need encoder (he disconnected it) and fuel tank vent valve.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of Battery Terminal Connectors are you using?

Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM

Right now just the lead clampdown generics

Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Interesting. Grabbed an sarvc at junkyard. Plugged it in and the hummer will not start. Good for theft control bad for driving.