Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Fuel line rot

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Default Fuel line rot

In the process of replacing my fuel pump and noticed a fairly rotted steel line that runs from up by the engine, along side the drivers side rocker panel and into a box type unit back by the bumper. Can anyone tell me what the name of this is or perhaps a part number? I am assuming it is a fuel line and would like to replace it before i put the tank back up in there. I'll try attaching a photo...it is the bottom line in the picture with the fuel pump connectors hanging down right by it. Thanks for any and all help.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel line rot-thumbnail.jpe  
Old 06-04-2019, 07:03 PM

Remove the rotted steel line and replace with nylon tubing! Install the nylon tubing in the same mounts. Get the fittings for each end and use a pincer to clamp them on or you can use the dorman kit:

Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 AM

PLEASE, list the MODEL, YEAR and ENGINE when looking for help on a specific part for your HUMMER.
No one is going to look for a part # to help you if they don't at least have the model year.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Box type unit? I assume you are referring to the EVAP system and its canister with vent solenoid valve ....

Old 06-05-2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Box type unit? I assume you are referring to the EVAP system and its canister with vent solenoid valve ....
That's probably it - i posted a photo above. Wife's vehicle so i am not too knowledgable with the Hummer line(Have only owned and worked on Ford). Is there a link online where i can look for all of the necessary H3 diagrams?

Old 06-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sighlense
That's probably it - i posted a photo above. Wife's vehicle so i am not too knowledgable with the Hummer line(Have only owned and worked on Ford). Is there a link online where i can look for all of the necessary H3 diagrams?
EDIT - posted a diagram of the part before this post but for some reason it needed approval from a moderator. it is #16 in the diagram.

Attached Thumbnails Fuel line rot-hummer.jpe  
Old 06-05-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
PLEASE, list the MODEL, YEAR and ENGINE when looking for help on a specific part for your HUMMER.
No one is going to look for a part # to help you if they don't at least have the model year.
Sorry, am pressed for time and forgot. It's my wife's 2007 H3 (i assume it's the 3.7 L 5-cylinder) automatic and i am not Hummer knowledgeable(own and work on Ford vehicles). Easiest for me would be to use existing connectors with nylon fuel tube as i hate molding steel fuel lines, and don't have the tool to do it. Don't want to start replacing it until i know what i am getting into.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Remove the rotted steel line and replace with nylon tubing! Install the nylon tubing in the same mounts. Get the fittings for each end and use a pincer to clamp them on or you can use the dorman kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJcniEcuzg

Thanks for the help, hummerz. Looks like this route is my only option. Ordered 10ft of Dorman 3/8 nylon tubing and going to use the existing connectors. I just hope it's not too hard to soften it up enough to slide onto the barb without having to shell out $100 for a Dorman tool kit.