Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Glad it all worked out ....

Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 AM

Thanks to the original poster and all who contributed to this post. Just bought an Alpha H3, and forgot to heck under the OEM floormats. When I took delivery of the vehicle and drove it home, the passenger side carpet was wet, front and back.
Pulled out the driver side drain tube, used a Dremel to remove the "x", and pushed back in the grommet and tube in a few minutes. Same for the passenger side, but could not get the grommet and tube back in for the life of me. Had to open up the side dash a little (another poster had suggested that), Vaseline the grommet (didn't want to ask the wife for the KY), and pushed it in by itself (without the drain hose connected).

Removing the "X" allows the drain hose to go further into the grommet, and enlargens the grommet, making it difficult to put in the firewall. Poured water in to test: driver's side fine, passenger side drenched the carpet. Had to lower the roof liner to reattach the hose to the sunroof drain hole. Not sure how that came loose, but I didn't do it.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Coolvibes
passenger side drenched the carpet. Had to lower the roof liner to reattach the hose to the sunroof drain hole. Not sure how that came loose, but I didn't do it.
P.O. probably tried compressed air to clear drain tube. REALLY bad idea.

EJ

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 PM

After reading this thread and thinking just a little I decided to use a can of compressed air to blow through the drain tube and clear an obstructions. Seems to have solved the problem with way less effort.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 AM

As long you didn't separate the tubes with the air pressure which folks have done in the past.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mark N Pen
After reading this thread and thinking just a little I decided to use a can of compressed air to blow through the drain tube and clear an obstructions. Seems to have solved the problem with way less effort.
You've fixed the symptoms, not the cause.......gonna happen again. If it clogs and rains BETWEEN 'air blast' treatments you're going to end up with wet carpeting or worse (BCM).

Old 08-16-2019, 08:30 PM

Check your work! Take a pitcher of water, open the sunroof, and carefully pour it into the channel(so you don't splash interior). The water should flow out(underneath the firewall), as fast as you pour it in.

Old 08-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Check your work! Take a pitcher of water, open the sunroof, and carefully pour it into the channel(so you don't splash interior). The water should flow out(underneath the firewall), as fast as you pour it in.
Agree with HUMMERZ and once you are satisfied that the tubes are flowing properly, pour a generous amount of CLEAN SHOWER through them at every oil change ! I have been doing it on two H3’s for years.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Many people have tried that, most did it using too much pressure and ended up with disconnected drain tubes..... that is why this thread is here. To help people fix the problem correctly without crating another.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:42 AM
Talking Drain tube fix

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Many people have tried that, most did it using too much pressure and ended up with disconnected drain tubes..... that is why this thread is here. To help people fix the problem correctly without crating another.
I have seen several posts about this and thought I would chime in. Not as an answer to Doc but just to add to his comments.
The drain hoses are crimped on the ends. They will stop up again. Air can,will and have blown the hoses apart at the joints. Mine were packed and would not blow out.
I fixed ours permanently and have not had an issue since. I ran new hoses and stuck them out the floor on the front and cut the crimped ends off the ones in the back. To each his own but I had the pillars out and saw how those damn things were ran and new if had to be fixed. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Finally, a fix for clogged sunroof drain tubes