Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Disconnect OnStar But Keep XM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Default Disconnect OnStar But Keep XM?

Hi! I’m new, so please don’t be mean. I’ve tried to find the answers myself but couldn’t that’s why I’m posting. After 2 new batts, new alt, and new fuse panel I still have a parasitic drain. Thought it was remote start, but we checked and don’t seem like that’s it. Been reading on here that it’s a bad OnStar Module. Ok. Also been seeing that OnStar and a XM are the same and if you don’t have one you won’t have the other. True/False? I LOVE my XM but could care less about OnStar. What should I do? Right now, dad has radio fuse pulled and absolutely ZERO drain so I think we are on the right track, yes?

NICE Help is appreciated! 2008 H3 Alpha

Old 01-25-2018, 06:24 AM
Old 01-25-2018, 06:44 AM
Cool

How much of a drain do you have? You should see 100mA normally which could lead to a dead battery if you have a weak battery and don't drive your Hummer every 7-10 days.
I have XM radio running and do not have OnStar.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:14 AM

It will sometimes drain in 6 or less hours, other times it has lasted 2-3 days. But I drive it every single day... Dad currently has the radio fuse out and there is ZERO draw on the battery..... so..... that’s where we are thinking it is, and I guess just replace the whole radio system? I Turned onstar on the other day just to see what they would say, and they ran a diagnostic where everything came back fine. You would think that a bad OnStar Module would either 1 not let me connect to OnStar or 2 they would be able to detect a problem.... yes no?

Old 01-31-2018, 07:32 AM

Dad Pulled the Radio Fuse. Absolutely No Drop in 3-4 Days - He then plugged the Radio Back in and Unplugged Onstar/XM - This was done two days ago, and this morning he told me he checked it yesterday evening and it started dropping again.... This tells me it is the Radio... Yes? Now... Need Help finding a "Plug and Play" Radio that will work well for me?

Old 01-31-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

It would help to post H3 questions in the H3 section.

OK, I gotta ask. Where/how is Dad measuring the "drop". and...

Do you still have the OEM Battery Terminal connectors?

Finally, have you looked at the wire harness with the rear door open between the bumper where it goes from under the chassis to the area of the license plate light? Common problem (the harness is a tad too short) for that to rub on the bumper/frame/chassis wear out the insulation and cause a drain.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:50 PM

Dad is pulling fuses with the fuse panel.

Asbfar as as I know the OEM battery Terminal connectors are original?

Will have him him check the wire harness in the back.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by H3FromIL2TN
Ok. Also been seeing that OnStar and a XM are the same and if you don’t have one you won’t have the other. True/False? I LOVE my XM but could care less about OnStar.
On my 2008 H3, this is false. I removed the cover over the center radio stack, and disconnected every connector that plugged into the VCIM in the lower part of the stack. The only visible difference was that the OnStar lights on the mirror were out (and of course the OnStar buttons on the mirror are inoperative), but the other mirror functions still worked. I don't use Bluetooth, and don't think my H3 came with it but I've read Bluetooth is a function of the VCIM so one might want to take note. The OnStar module on my H3 has been rendered totally inert. And yes, XM still plays just as before.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
It would help to post H3 questions in the H3 section.

OK, I gotta ask. Where/how is Dad measuring the "drop". and...

Do you still have the OEM Battery Terminal connectors?

Finally, have you looked at the wire harness with the rear door open between the bumper where it goes from under the chassis to the area of the license plate light? Common problem (the harness is a tad too short) for that to rub on the bumper/frame/chassis wear out the insulation and cause a drain.
DOC!! I think that may be it!!! Dad checked that yesterday and there was a “blue” wire that had been rubbed pretty bad and exposed..... does this sound right??

Old 02-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3FromIL2TN

DOC!! I think that may be it!!! Dad checked that yesterday and there was a “blue” wire that had been rubbed pretty bad and exposed..... does this sound right??
It has happened to a couple dozen that I know of. I cannot remember which wire rubbed through on mine (don't recall blue) but any except ground would cause the same issue. Stretch the harness away, maneuver it however you have to in order to create enough space to avoid contact with it in the future.
Check it now and then to make sure it is staying away from where it had contact.

It killed mine 3 or 4 times when it was super cold out, once I found it, and replaced the Battery Terminal Connectors with Stingers, never happened since. Been many years since.

Hope that was it.

Quick Reply: Disconnect OnStar But Keep XM?