Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Desperate Plea for help with my engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
I don't see a catch can in the PCV line which can cause a lot of issues on a boosted engine especially an LS engine. The valve cover baffles are known to be sub par for the job they are meant to do. Its likely if you were to pull that line off the vacuum port it will be full of oil along with the blower and intake. GM recommends the replacement of the driver side valve cover with a new one when oil is noticed in the intake. Mine had over a quart of oil in the intake when I pulled it and there is no easy way to get it out. If the PCV is passing oil to the engine it can contribute to the noise your hearing, not saying this is your issue but it can be.

Have you had to add oil to the engine?

Neal
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I thought my post posted a few days ago but it didn’t. I’m taking your advice and I installed a moroso catch can that I’d seen someone else install on this forum. The pcv line was drenched when I removed it. But I couldn’t tell you if that’s why I had to add oil because of other leaks. Though I just got those fixed as well.

Also plugs and wires just came in. I will be tackling those myself on Saturday as well as getting a borescope to see about carbon deposits.

here is the catch can I purchased. It seems to have just a bunch of steel woolish stuff on top where the lines go in and a baffle. Nothing too fancy but it’s supposed to be one of the best. I mounted the bracket on my hood latch bolt.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-09-2021, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I thought my post posted a few days ago but it didn’t. I’m taking your advice and I installed a moroso catch can that I’d seen someone else install on this forum. The pcv line was drenched when I removed it. But I couldn’t tell you if that’s why I had to add oil because of other leaks. Though I just got those fixed as well.

Also plugs and wires just came in. I will be tackling those myself on Saturday as well as getting a borescope to see about carbon deposits.

here is the catch can I purchased. It seems to have just a bunch of steel woolish stuff on top where the lines go in and a baffle. Nothing too fancy but it’s supposed to be one of the best. I mounted the bracket on my hood latch bolt.
https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-85481-...ps%2C84&sr=8-3
Mark each plug to show what cylinder it came out of and post pics here.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by H2monsta
Mark each plug to show what cylinder it came out of and post pics here.
I will do that. I plan on running a can of Gm top engine cleaner through the engine before changing plugs. Do you know if this will hurt the supercharger or gum up the intercooler? It has to be run through a vacuum line at the throttle body.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:37 PM
Old 12-09-2021, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gavin Costigan
I will do that. I plan on running a can of Gm top engine cleaner through the engine before changing plugs. Do you know if this will hurt the supercharger or gum up the intercooler? It has to be run through a vacuum line at the throttle body.

I don't think it will hurt anything, but I've always found straight water to be the best carbon cleaner. Also, my thought process would be to do it last. Whenever I diagnose, I want to find the smoking gun and the cleaner might mask that.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:08 PM

but I've always found straight water to be the best carbon cleaner. .
An old wives' tale! Water does NOT remove carbon!

Old 12-09-2021, 10:18 PM

misting it in is where the guy went wrong. you have to stream it in.
i dont know about supercharged or turbo engine but my number jag had stuck valves on my N/A jag and water got the valves to work. but it did clog the precat after.
if water does not work then why do engines with head gasket leaks have clean chambers and valves at the cylinder leak.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:23 AM

I don't think it will hurt anything, but I've always found straight water to be the best carbon cleaner. Also, my thought process would be to do it last. Whenever I diagnose, I want to find the smoking gun and the cleaner might mask that.
Good thought. And if the plugs do fix it, I won’t have to suck crap through the supercharger. I was just worried about fouling plugs, but my thought would be if anything, it would clean them.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:45 AM

GM Top engine cleaner is fantastic stuff. Direct Injection engines are totally different than our H2 motors need a manual cleaning most of the time.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:22 PM

I just emailed Magnuson about running the Top Engine Cleaner through the supercharger. They said not to do it or run any fluids through the supercharger. The explanation was that the rotors have an abradable(softer, sacrificial material) coating that essentially wears itself to the tightest possible tolerance between the rotors and casing and that introducing a fluid through it would damage that and create less than desirable tolerances that would decrease boost and efficiency. Does make you wonder though... What about oil and gasoline mist through the pcv valve? I would assume that over time this coating degrades.

So if there is carbon buildup, the only option is removing the heads and doing a manual cleaning. I wonder if the O'l Italian tuneup trick would work.

Quick Reply: Desperate Plea for help with my engine