PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DEALER TRIED TO REFUSE DOING AN ALIGNMENT & HEAD REPL. INFO INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:30 AM
Default DEALER TRIED TO REFUSE DOING AN ALIGNMENT & HEAD REPL. INFO INSIDE

Just dropped off my H3 (recently purchased used with 21,000 miles). Took it in for the cracked railing and the jack recall and also asked for an alignment. I explained to the service writer that I have turned the t-bars two full turns due to new 35" tires I have being shipped to me and asked for them to leave the front ride height where it was and align the H3 closest to spec as they could without making any adjustments to the t-bars. He then tells me that they can't touch the alignment now that I have tampered with the vehicle. He tells me it's impossible to even get it close since I have changed the front ride height. He goes on to tell me that nobody can align it now and if they claim they can, well, they are just taking my money. After a good 5 minutes of telling him I've seen / heard about / been told to go get an alignment after raising up the front, he tells me that's total BS and nothing can be done to correct the changes made by turning up the t-bars. So.....I tell him I turned them exactly 2 full turns and to turn them back exactly 2 full turns, then align it. Reluctantly, he says they can do that, but he has to write on the service ticket that I have tampered with it and they can't be held responsible if it won't properly align or I get bad tire wear. I would have just taken it elsewhere, but before I touched it the steering wheel was slightly cocked to the left and the vehicle drifts to the right....so, I know it needed an alignment regardless of what I had done to the torsion bars.

So, now I guess I'm stuck with trying to find another place to do another alignment once I get it back, turn the t-bars back up 2 full turns and put on the new wheels! [:@] Oh well, at least I'll be getting the cocked steering wheel and the pull to the right fixed.

I mentioned the "rough idle" to him and he said they would look at it. While we were on the subject, I asked him if they had done a lot of head replacements on the H3's....he got this huge grin on his face and said, "YEP, WE'VE HAD TO DO TONS OF THEM". (I'm posting this because I've been reading on these forums that some have argued that this is a very rare problem and that the majority of H3's don't have head issues. The feeling I got by his answer made it seem as if it was more common than not to have to get the head replaced.

One last thing.....I forgot to take a look at my stock jack (just bought the vehicle 2 weeks ago)....is there any way I can tell if they actually replace it? Does the new recall replacemnt jack look different than the stock one? How can I tell the difference? Thanks again everyone, your help is greatly appreciated!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Default RE: DEALER TRIED TO REFUSE DOING AN ALIGNMENT & HEAD REPL. INFO INSIDE

If you register at https://www.mygmlink.com/main/US/en/gm/home
you should be able to see any recalls completed & limited maintenance history

Old 01-26-2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info! I did that just 2 days ago and got the confirmation email saying I was all set up. But, when I go there, it shows no maint. history and 1 recall....being the jack replacement. Should it be notifying me of more?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Wolfy...That Indy Dealer is the total pits and full of ****!!..and he blowing smoke up your butt...That is the worst Dealer/service bullsh!t story I've ever heard..Find another dealer..Surely Southbend or Ft Wayne has one.

Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM

He then tells me that they can't touch the alignment now that I have tampered with the vehicle. He tells me it's impossible to even get it close since I have changed the front ride height. He goes on to tell me that nobody can align it now and if they claim they can, well, they are just taking my money. After a good 5 minutes of telling him I've seen / heard about / been told to go get an alignment after raising up the front, he tells me that's total BS and nothing can be done to correct the changes made by turning up the t-bars.
Absolute nonsense! [:@]

Old 01-26-2007, 11:41 AM

That's a bad dealer

Old 01-26-2007, 11:47 AM

other than that "INDY" Hummer dealership....the next closest 3 are 100 miles away...that's over 3 hours drive time round trip! Might just have to do that though if all else fails. Locator service showed me Cincinnati, OH....Louisville, KY....and Centerville, OH as my next closest 3. What a bummer!

Maybe I can find out which aspect of cranking the torsion bars affects the alignment. Toe? Caster? Camber?....and then raise the font end back up, take it to a reputable alignment shop (if there is such a thing) and tell them to only adjust that portion that is affected.????

Anyone with info on how to tell if my jack was replaced? Do they look different?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:58 AM

When they replaced my jack..I noticed it wasn't screw in place tight, that's how I knew they changed it..other than that I don't know what the physical differences are..

Old 01-26-2007, 12:17 PM

Wolf, I know it's a drive for you but if you end up exploring options I highly recommend Hummer of Cincinnati. Their service department is outstanding only to be outdone with their general customer service attitude. I rarely rant and rave about a dealer but those guys deserve it, they do a hell of a good job!
I dunno what the "standard" service it at ya'lls dealers but for $34.99 I get my oil done along with whatever fluids are low, they wash it, hand dry it, quick polish of the little chrome I have, wet shine my tires (summer only) and they whipe down the interior (front row) for me ... Other dealers I've been to won't even top off the windshield washer fluid unless I pay extra for it ...

Old 01-26-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. The drive to Cinci isn't too bad....I used to take my 600HP Mustang Cobra over there to a shop for custom dyno tuning. I'll start going there from now on. PM me with you name and/or the name of any particular guys there that I should ask for....of course I'll use that to my advantage and tell them how you raved about their great service. (Usually that gets people to commit to doing their best job for you).

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: DEALER TRIED TO REFUSE DOING AN ALIGNMENT & HEAD REPL. INFO INSIDE