PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer audio system vs Brand name audio system

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Default Computer audio system vs Brand name audio system

So I found this while brousing for a new head unit and I thought that if anyone here has not seen this that it would be worth taking a look at also note that they do have better computer systems out there now than the one that was used in this build.

also what do you all think, would there be anyone willing to go this route or stick to the regular name brand style of system.

IMOP this system would give you a greater array of ablitites you can hook up a WI-FI connector to this and really anything that you can think of doing with a computer you can just about do with this.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-computer.html

In-dash Computer Install in a 2006 HUMMER H3

Why? After reading all the great things other folks were doing in this forum I found myself unsatisfied by OEM and aftermarket nav and entertainment solutions. Some of the advantages of building this system include:
  1. Graphic design – It seems every other nav system is blue. Blue graphics look great, but unfortunately the H3 doesn’t have any anywhere else in the cabin, and thus looks out of place. So I designed an interface that made use of the yellow, red, and white colors that are used elsewhere. I also utilized fonts and other design elements from the HUMMER logo. In fact, I wanted something that looked more OEM than the OEM.
  2. Topographical mapping and tracking. I used TOPO! for this.
  3. Wireless synchronization of music database. In my driveway I just press a button to download any new songs from my home computer. It’s also used to update other software, including navigation maps.
  4. Sirius radio that shows what’s currently playing on all stations, and song info that isn’t limited to 16 characters (or some other small limit).
  5. Gesture interface. A quick an easy way to skip a track or change stations without taking my eyes off the road.
  6. No nag screen for the nav.
  7. Volume ****. Most nav system use push buttons for volume... I hate that.
  8. 0-lux backup camera. I used a backup camera with IR LED's to produce a clear image in complete darkness.
  9. Extra spotting camera. Installed underneath the chassis aimed at the front wheels, to reduce need for a spotter when off-roading. (coming soon)
Hardware:
Intel Core Duo processor
iBase MB899 mini-ITX motherboard
DSATX automotive power supply for motherboard
DS12V automotive power supply for amp
Xenarc 7” LCD touchscreen 700TSV
Mechatroniks chassis
Alpine Sirius Radio tuner SIR-ALP1 with MithJS interface board
Peripheral GMAH24B for retaining OnStar
Phidget encoder (for volume **** control)
Volume **** from stock head unit
Backup camera
GlobalSat USB GPS antenna
Seagate 100GB 2.5” hard drive

Software:
Windows XP Pro
Road Runner - Thanks Guino!
CFX skin as a base - Thanks b8bboi and Proximo!
iGuidance
TOPO!

The rig:

These two pictures show the completed install. Note the volume **** lifted from the original head unit, where it was used for tone control. The rubberized texture and color of the **** matches the other ***** in the cabin, such as the A/C and vent position *****. I was also able to perfectly match the color and texture of the screen bezel with the plastic surrounding the A/C vents at the top of the picture.

Here are some screen caps of the various functions:

The startup screen. In the upper right corner is the clock and below that, “ONLINE” illuminates when I’m in range of my home wireless network. The icon on the bottom right is a button for synchronizing with my home computer.

Selecting the WEATHER button above takes you to the current weather screen. It is updated automatically if online.

It also features a 5-day forecast screen.

On the main menu bar on the left, MEDIA is for the library of mp3’s.

RADIO is for Sirius satellite radio. Currently there is no AM/FM radio, but I can add it if I ever feel I miss it (I don’t think I will). The FAV button on the bottom cycles through lists of favorite stations. The name of the list is at the top, “Jeff”. SAT: and TER: show the strength of the satellite and terrestrial signals respectively.

Road Runner embeds the iGuidance program natively. I’ve used quite a few nav systems, and am pretty happy with iGuidance. It uses NavTeq maps, which I have found to be more accurate in my area, as opposed to TeleAtlas. When navigating a route, I can be in MEDIA or RADIO, and for each turn, it will automatically switch back to NAV, lower the music, speak the direction, and then return to MEDIA or RADIO when I’ve completed the turn.

TOPO! integration works quite well, also. I had to make some custom AutoIt scripts to pull it off. The “+” and “-“ at the bottom are for zooming in and out. “TRK” will start plotting your position with a red line (example shown). “FIND” will pull up the screen that searches for landmarks. “OSK” is an On-Screen Keyboard for typing in what you want to search for.

The backup camera is enabled whenever the truck is put in reverse. The Xenarc display has an AV2 composite input that it will switch to automatically whenever there is a signal on it. So I simply power the camera off the backup light leads. That way the camera powers up and provides a signal whenever I’m in reverse.

Here’s an example of the image in pitch darkness... except for my backup lights and a lampost off in the distance.

Last edited by jeffw; 03-06-2008 at 01:28 PM..