Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

changing oils..

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Default changing oils..

H3, 2007, 3.7l automatic transmission
I want to change the transmission and transfer case oil. All other oils has been done. Since I have no idea when it has been done lately and previous owner didn't take proper care at all. Also transmisión doesn't smell kosher, altrough the color is fine. I don't want completely flush it, I just want to change the filter and whatever will drip out from the pan.
. so my question- the transmisión always has been for me mystery for me, and if I was doing similar work on it, I usually was buying the oil directly from diller- that correspond to wehicle. Should I do the same? Or i can put any ATF oil? Same thing with transfer case? If I can put different oil which one? What type? Should I go to full synthetic?
Tnx in advance.

Old 12-05-2020, 03:57 PM

This has been coverd B4...
If you search it there are a few.

Short answer is Use the GM recomended fluids for both. Its the same ATF for Transmission and Transfer Case. There is a good deal on Amazon for the Transmission kit with gasket and filter.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by wpage

Short answer is Use the GM recomended fluids for both. Its the same ATF for Transmission and Transfer Case. There is a good deal on Amazon for the Transmission kit with gasket and filter.
O! You actually covered my 2d question i forgot to ask- if I have ro get a new gascket
Thank you

Old 12-05-2020, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wpage

The links are still active: ATF & Filter change

Originally Posted by UcraDen
O! You actually covered my 2d question i forgot to ask- if I have ro get a new gascket
Thank you
Look at above thread, get the filter/gasket kit and 2gallons of dex vi.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:26 AM

If you are going to drop the pan and change the filter you might as well add a drain bung to the pan too.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:44 AM

Old 12-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
Ыыы-ыыы-ююю- жжж

Anyways, I saw those filter kits coming with gasket and the buttplug so ill get the whole thing

Old 12-19-2020, 06:20 PM

Change those. The transfer case oil was all pearly- i guess good thing I did it. I was surprised the drain plug didn't have any magnet.
As of transmisión, I drop the pan, and refill the same quantity that was in there (maybe overfill it 100-200g. But after I defenelely could feel that the transmisión start to shift smoother...I wonder if I should to repeat it (without changing the filter) since I didn't flush it all. The magnet was all fluffy with steel particles..

Old 12-19-2020, 08:47 PM

As of transmisión, I drop the pan, and refill the same quantity that was in there (maybe overfill it 100-200g. But after I defenelely could feel that the transmisión start to shift smoother...I wonder if I should to repeat it (without changing the filter) since I didn't flush it all. The magnet was all fluffy with steel particles..
Simple 3 step process: Clean, Exchange, Change filter!

Old 12-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Change those. The transfer case oil was all pearly- i guess good thing I did it. I was surprised the drain plug didn't have any magnet.
If you installed the drain bung in the transmission pan as suggested earlier then just drain and refill again until you have clean red trans fluid. It takes me 2 or 3 pan drains to get the perfect red (new fluid) color.