Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   changing oils.. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/changing-oils-44031/)

UcraDen 12-05-2020 12:15 PM

changing oils..

H3, 2007, 3.7l automatic transmission
I want to change the transmission and transfer case oil. All other oils has been done. Since I have no idea when it has been done lately and previous owner didn't take proper care at all. Also transmisión doesn't smell kosher, altrough the color is fine. I don't want completely flush it, I just want to change the filter and whatever will drip out from the pan.
. so my question- the transmisión always has been for me mystery for me, and if I was doing similar work on it, I usually was buying the oil directly from diller- that correspond to wehicle. Should I do the same? Or i can put any ATF oil? Same thing with transfer case? If I can put different oil which one? What type? Should I go to full synthetic?
Tnx in advance.

wpage 12-05-2020 03:57 PM

This has been coverd B4...
If you search it there are a few.

Short answer is Use the GM recomended fluids for both. Its the same ATF for Transmission and Transfer Case. There is a good deal on Amazon for the Transmission kit with gasket and filter.

UcraDen 12-05-2020 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by wpage (Post 380006)

Short answer is Use the GM recomended fluids for both. Its the same ATF for Transmission and Transfer Case. There is a good deal on Amazon for the Transmission kit with gasket and filter.

O! You actually covered my 2d question i forgot to ask- if I have ro get a new gascket
Thank you

hummerz 12-05-2020 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by wpage (Post 380006)

The links are still active: ATF & Filter change

Originally Posted by UcraDen (Post 380007)
O! You actually covered my 2d question i forgot to ask- if I have ro get a new gascket
Thank you

Look at above thread, get the filter/gasket kit and 2gallons of dex vi.

TAINTER 12-07-2020 11:26 AM

If you are going to drop the pan and change the filter you might as well add a drain bung to the pan too. ;)

Broken Halo 12-07-2020 11:44 AM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hum...21f42d1a0e.jpg

UcraDen 12-07-2020 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Broken Halo (Post 380054)

Ыыы-ыыы-ююю- жжж :)

Anyways, I saw those filter kits coming with gasket and the buttplug:) so ill get the whole thing

UcraDen 12-19-2020 06:20 PM

Change those. The transfer case oil was all pearly- i guess good thing I did it. I was surprised the drain plug didn't have any magnet.
As of transmisión, I drop the pan, and refill the same quantity that was in there (maybe overfill it 100-200g. But after I defenelely could feel that the transmisión start to shift smoother...I wonder if I should to repeat it (without changing the filter) since I didn't flush it all. The magnet was all fluffy with steel particles..

hummerz 12-19-2020 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by UcraDen (Post 380407)
As of transmisión, I drop the pan, and refill the same quantity that was in there (maybe overfill it 100-200g. But after I defenelely could feel that the transmisión start to shift smoother...I wonder if I should to repeat it (without changing the filter) since I didn't flush it all. The magnet was all fluffy with steel particles..

Simple 3 step process: Clean, Exchange, Change filter!:cool:

TAINTER 12-21-2020 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by UcraDen (Post 380407)
Change those. The transfer case oil was all pearly- i guess good thing I did it. I was surprised the drain plug didn't have any magnet.

If you installed the drain bung in the transmission pan as suggested earlier then just drain and refill again until you have clean red trans fluid. It takes me 2 or 3 pan drains to get the perfect red (new fluid) color.