Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Changed to LED headlights hi beam doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 04:09 AM
Default Changed to LED headlights hi beam doesn't work

So we are new to having a Hummer. We purchased an 07 H3 after a deer took out our car. The headlights weren't very bright and after the deer incident we want to see VERY well. I ordered some h13 LEDs and my husband put them in. The hi beams aren't working. What I mean is they dont get brighter when you flip to hi beam. Just stays the same. The supplier says I need a canbus. Idk, why would they not tell me this before? I need some advice on this from h3 owners so here I am. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Phegler
So we are new to having a Hummer. We purchased an 07 H3 after a deer took out our car. The headlights weren't very bright and after the deer incident we want to see VERY well. I ordered some h13 LEDs and my husband put them in. The hi beams aren't working. What I mean is they dont get brighter when you flip to hi beam. Just stays the same. The supplier says I need a canbus. Idk, why would they not tell me this before? I need some advice on this from h3 owners so here I am. Any help is much appreciated.
i had to have the Body Control Module reprogrammed and then it worked

Old 12-17-2019, 07:26 AM

Regardless of what "people say".
The housings are not made to reflect any LED bulb made as of today. You will BLIND oncoming traffic with your LED bulbs because the H3/H3T reflector housing is just poor.

Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA H13 for the head lights and swap the fogs to 9005 (YES, they fit) Silverstar ULTRA bulbs. Night and day difference.

If you want to go LED headlights that are aimed properly and don't blind oncoming traffic with diffused light then you will need to make custom mounts for new headlight assemblies.
If you want LED fog lights/driving lights headlights that are aimed properly and don't blind oncoming traffic with diffused light then you will need to make custom mounts for new fog light assemblies.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:44 AM

are you sure your not confusing HID lighting for LED lighting?

Old 12-17-2019, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
The housings are not made to reflect any LED bulb made as of today. You will BLIND oncoming traffic with your LED bulbs because the H3/H3T reflector housing is just poor.

Sylvania Silverstar ULTRA H13 for the head lights and swap the fogs to 9005 (YES, they fit) Silverstar ULTRA bulbs. Night and day difference.

If you want to go LED headlights that are aimed properly and don't blind oncoming traffic with diffused light then you will need to make custom mounts for new headlight assemblies.
If you want LED fog lights/driving lights headlights that are aimed properly and don't blind oncoming traffic with diffused light then you will need to make custom mounts for new fog light assemblies.

He's right !!!

Old 12-17-2019, 05:22 PM

I've been using 55w Xenon Gas Halogen @5-6000k for many years. Huge difference driving at night over the yellow oem bulbs, and not blinding to the oncoming drivers. They only last a couple of years, however, I get these bulbs for around $4bucks each.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by TAINTER

Glad to see this about the Silverstar Ultras. I have ran them in couple of other vehicles I owned in the past but the H3 does appear to have a "different" reflector housing. Didnt know about the 9005s in the fogs. Thanks for the post.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
are you sure your not confusing HID lighting for LED lighting?
Yeah, I'm sure Mr. Mechanic.
Neither HID nor LED have a bulb made as of today that does not blind oncoming drivers when used in our reflector housings.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I use Xenon bulbs in the headlights (H13) and fogs (H10 - 9145) both 55/60 watt 7500Ks, big difference over OEM. Just under $6/bulb, lifetime warranty, just send them back for new ones when they go.

Kinda like when you go to the all you can eat buffet, they got know idea how long I plan on owning my H3 or how much I am gonna eat.

Yes, the H3 reflectors just plain suck.