Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Anyone tried LED headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Default Anyone tried LED headlight bulbs?

Im interested in this item, it is something new, but I heard allot of bad feedback on HID conversions and am looking for an alternative.
They are made by Cree and here is the link; CREE Kit 9008 H13 Pack of 2 LED Bulbs 25W Each Hi Lo Dual Beam Headlight Upgrade | eBay

Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM

I honestly don't see the point when you can get HID's with relays for $60. I don't know but most people use actual replacement housings with LED's build into them.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:10 PM

I've heard that HID kits are not reliable, (kinda like pot luck) At least that what I've picked up doing research online. These LEDs are 100 bucks, but if they are reliable and last that's what im looking for.
The only replacement housing im aware of is the Starr HID Projectors, and they go for 750.00. I wouldn't spend that kind of money.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:25 PM

I had HIDs and had issues with only one turning on at times and sometimes neither one would turn on with the automatic headlights. I would have to turn my Hummer off manually turn the lights on then start it for them both to work. It might be because of the DRL module but I got rid of the HIDs and am also thinking of going LED.
I am also thinking of going a step farther and buying used lenses and modifying them to fit the multi-LED projector style LEDs. We use the projector style at the underground mine I work at and they are great. The only problem is there is no hi/low option.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:12 AM

Head over to pirate and theres a gr8 read on LED headlights. I learned alot from it.

Chris

Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 PM

HID's are 100% reliable as long as you install them with a relay kit. You cannot draw the correct voltage/amps from the stock wiring for the ballasts to fire and light the capsules. They may work that way "plug and play" for a while but then they'll start acting up. Both not lighting, flickering, etc.

Relay kits solve all that. I have always ran relay kits and installed close to 100 kits in various vehicles. Not a single one has had an issue. I've had HID's in my rig since I've had it and not one problem what so ever.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:55 PM

That's good news LoJac, now is there a brand that you would recommend? Looked into doing this but after some internet research i ended up still not knowing what to purchase.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 PM

www.ddmtuning.com

They used to have a cheaper kit but they only offer one kit now. That newer kit they have uses digital ballasts with a separate igniter. I have the newer kit in my truck and never had an issue. I actually ordered a set for the wifes new Jeep Liberty, just waiting for them to come in.

DDM has some of the best prices on the market. You choose your bulb type, kelvin temp, then be sure to add the "optional relay harness dual in dual out" to the order. One relay kit will handle both sides.

You wire the relay kit to the positive on the battery and a ground, the relay kit then connects to the ballast to power it drawing more power through the larger wires and directly from the battery/alternator. The only use the stock wiring provides is a positive 12v to close the relay.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:07 PM

i ran a 55w kit with relay from ddm and they lasted for 10 months b4 the relay shorted. the 35w kit i got lasted 18 months before i started getn issues. im now runn'n a morimoto kit from theretrofitsource, had it for 5 months and no issues yet. kit is much beefier and reviewed highly but more expensive.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:41 AM

I have read quite a few bad reviews on DDM from other vehicle forums. I have never had an issue with them however. I don't know if they have bad batches once in a while or what. I guess you could always spend more elsewhere but honestly everyone's HID's are going to come from China anyway lol.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried LED headlight bulbs?