PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding/burping coolant system

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Default Bleeding/burping coolant system

Well I am going to be replacing my thermostat and coolant temp sensor this weekend, I was searching and can't find a good answer about how to bleed/burp the coolant system on the H3 to get the air out after I swap them.

Also, could I just remove the old thermostat quickly and throw the new one on quick while its leaking fluid out to keep from draining the whole system and filling it with air?

Thanks,
Spencer

Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator

No need to worry about air in the cooling system of your H3, irrelevant.

Sure you can pull off the old Tstat and quickly put on the new one, just were a swim mask and snorkel.

Seriously, you pull off the lower radiator hose (you should have a round nose radiator pliers to make it super easy) and drain it into a bucket. Then do the Tstat with a couple towels handy. Then refill with Dexcool. You will need about 1.5+ gallons of coolant (red Dex only) to refill so either buy 2 Gal. 50/50 mixed, or 1 Gal. and mix in distilled water for your 50/50.

This is a good write up: https://sites.google.com/site/happyh...ts-replacement

For more visuals on the radiator drain process, look at this efan related thread where I posted some details. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...version-32647/

Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks a ton Doc Olds, you always seem to know the answer to everything I need help with. I greatly appreciate it.

Spencer

Old 02-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Just trying to help when I can.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:44 PM

I've changed a T-stat and let me tell you, there is no way to do it quickly enough that you wouldn't drain the whole system.
Do it the way that Doc said.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:41 PM
rsc

I'm sitting here grinning thinking of the results of someone trying to be faster than the radiator fluid.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by rsm688
Well I am going to be replacing my thermostat and coolant temp sensor this weekend, I was searching and can't find a good answer about how to bleed/burp the coolant system on the H3 to get the air out after I swap them.

Also, could I just remove the old thermostat quickly and throw the new one on quick while its leaking fluid out to keep from draining the whole system and filling it with air?

Thanks,
Spencer
Just replaced my thermostat yesterday and trust me there is no way to do it quickly, just getting the screws of the thermostat out is a trick of its own, then getting the hose out..... don't even mention screwing the thermostat back on...... you will end up with coolant all over the place no matter how hard you try. Besides, its probably a good idea to get fresh coolant in there while you are at it.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:23 AM
rsc

If you had an inline thermostat at the top of the radiator like I do you could change out the thermostat for a different temp without draining all the fluid.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
If you had an inline thermostat at the top of the radiator like I do you could change out the thermostat for a different temp without draining all the fluid.
When the time comes to do my tstat, that's exactly what I'll be doing.