Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

How difficult is a PCMforless E-fan conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 06:24 PM
Default How difficult is a PCMforless E-fan conversion?

I'm looking to add a little power to the 07 I5 I bought a couple months ago. I had an 08 I5 and this one seems to have a lot less power than my old one did. I'm waiting on my PCM of NC tuned PCM to come back this week so that should help, but I'm willing to try the e-fan conversion if it's something I can handle myself in a day. If anyone has done this to their 06 or 07 (since these both need the temp sensor spliced into the lower hose), how long did it take? I've done enough engine things that I think I can handle it but I'd like to get a ballpark of how long/difficult it is? Any tips or info would be great. Thanks!

Ben

Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM

Same question here... when I found out that extra detail, I had second thoughts. I've done a few basic mods to my 370Z (exhaust, high flow cats) and a few aesthetic mods to my H3 (clear signals front and back, clear side markers) plus the drain tube fix... but this seems more complicated. I'm far from an expert, so I'd also like to hear details on the difficulty level and approximate time required.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

The most difficult part of doing the Efan conversion is taking apart the fuse box to get to the main connectors and find the tap in pins for the wiring. It is more intimidating than difficult if you know the tricks to pulling off the (middle section) of the fuse block and getting it back together. The trick: You have to snap in the harness connectors to the bottom of the fuse block BEFORE you snap the fuse block down on top of the fuse box and do it carefully.

Here's what I'm talking about.
Name:  IMG_6372.jpg
Views: 3467
Size:  151.5 KB
To get the block out, there are clips... I think two on the left side, one on the right?

You have to tap power and AC wires from a specific pin location (pink & green me thinks, but I can't remember chit).

The install of the fan and sensor for the 06/07 is EZ stuff.

You will need only two out of the regular tools, a round nose hose clamp pliers (already had those) and I got the fan clutch nut wrench from Advance Auto free rental.
Name:  DSCN0121.jpg
Views: 2404
Size:  92.6 KB

Old 03-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Drop the skid plate/splash guards, everybody knows that drill. To drain the radiator, you pull off the lower hose and aim it in a bucket, while that's draining you can get the clutch fan out of the way.

Takes just a bit of a tap on the wrench to free the nut.
Name:  DSCFanNut.jpg
Views: 2520
Size:  49.0 KB

Follow the provided instruction and remove the fan cowl (the top radiator hose has to come off.
Name:  DSCN0117.jpg
Views: 3089
Size:  61.4 KB

Then you install the efan.
Name:  DSCN0118.jpg
Views: 3353
Size:  64.1 KB

Before you re-attache the lower radiator hose to fill with coolant, you slice out abou 3/4-1.5" and then slip in the CNC aluminum sensor mount and clamp it in. I went with SS Marine grade T Bolts I already had and I know they be there w/o issue. Pic from the top.
Name:  DSCN0122.jpg
Views: 3320
Size:  62.8 KB

Old 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

You will need about 1.5+ gallons of coolant (red Dex only) to refill so either buy 2 Gal. 50/50 mixed, or 1 Gal. and mix in distilled water for your 50/50.

Button it all back up, review the instructions to make sure you covered all the bases, done.

I do not remember exactly how long this took me because it was years ago (mostly because I can't remember chit), but what I did was...

Drop the skids and pull off the lower hose to start coolant draining. Have a beer and do something else for a while. Remove the fan and pull out the shroud, look at the instructions, pull apart the fuse box, have another beer and do something else for a while. Install the fan and sensor, wire it in, have a beer, pour in coolant, look for leaks. Start the truck, look for leaks with bright light, have another beer.

Honestly, the actual work time was about 1.5 hour including clean up. It was February when I installed it, it took weeks for it to actually turn on because it was so cold out, but that one day in the drive through line told me it was working. I did not tap the AC for always on when AC is on... I'm in MI, our summers are short and it comes on when it gets hot from the sensor.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Awesome write up Doc! I'm sure if I make the conversion I'll be using your directions to install it. Thanks!

Ben

Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Default H3 Alpha Dog

Nice write up, also have an order in to PCM of NC for a tune and was considering the E-Fan for my 2008 Alpha. Has anyone changed out the fan for the Alpha model? It looks like there may be less room to work than the I5.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3 Alpha Dog
Nice write up, also have an order in to PCM of NC for a tune and was considering the E-Fan for my 2008 Alpha. Has anyone changed out the fan for the Alpha model? It looks like there may be less room to work than the I5.
It is about the same, but even easier. With the 2008+ H3s the PCM controls the fan (you have to get the PCM patch by way of the tune to control it) so there is no CNC aluminum sensor adapter/mount to cut into the lower radiator hose. The fan clearance is tight to the TB with the Alphas, but about the same between radiator and clutch fan as the I5s.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:56 PM

Doc.. after 3 years running in my truck the Efan, will not cut on when it reaches high temps.. I have to cut it on by running the heater/ac..

Changed the relay nothing, checked fuses nothing..

What else could it be? The temp sensor on the lower rad hose?

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by MeBelovinMyH3
Doc.. after 3 years running in my truck the Efan, will not cut on when it reaches high temps.. I have to cut it on by running the heater/ac..

Changed the relay nothing, checked fuses nothing..

What else could it be? The temp sensor on the lower rad hose?
Forgive me for asking the obvious, but thats where I try to always start...Did you double check that you tapped into the correct pins when you wired it up...?

Quick Reply: How difficult is a PCMforless E-fan conversion?