Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Aftermarket 4" lift spindle interest?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:47 PM
Default Aftermarket 4" lift spindle interest?

Short of a long story. I'm a small fab shop and my brother has a H3Alpha. He has cranked bars, factory wheels and 35s. While at a junkyard I found a nearly complete 4" rancho kit that I was able to pick up for $100. It's just missing a knuckle. I had NO IDEA that these things were so hard/impossible to find. After researching all the forums and posts I've came up with a few ideas.

Is there enough interest that if I spent the time to produce these, how many people would be interested in purchasing them as a set?

The second question that I had is also going to take some more time/research, but I think that with a 4" lift a coilover swap could be fairly easily obtained. This may require cutting the factory shock tower and will require welding, but my theory is that with a fabricated lower A arm and an upper bucket/frame stiffner a ZR2 factory coilover could be swapped in place of the torsion bar. The hope is to use the ZR2 factory coilover so that the kit could be affordable/upgradable as I don't have the resources to build the entire kit and keep it affordable.

So what do you guys think? I will start a build thread this summer to show the process of how this goes, but trying to gauge interest. It will take far less time to just do this for my brother as a 1 off, but if there is enough interest I'm definitely down to produce these. Moderators I will go through the right steps to sell them on here if it goes that route.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:13 PM

I still think there has got to be another knuckle that is very similar in design that is all ready available. GM has many SUV.

Old 01-29-2021, 01:17 PM

I'd love to hear about what one of there is one. That would save me a lot of time!

Old 01-29-2021, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by happy hummer
i still think there has got to be another knuckle that is very similar in design that is all ready available. Gm has many suv.
Nope, the H3/3T is a one only front suspension.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 01-29-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Blueoval_boy_64
Short of a long story. I'm a small fab shop and my brother has a H3Alpha. He has cranked bars, factory wheels and 35s. While at a junkyard I found a nearly complete 4" rancho kit that I was able to pick up for $100. It's just missing a knuckle. I had NO IDEA that these things were so hard/impossible to find. After researching all the forums and posts I've came up with a few ideas.

Is there enough interest that if I spent the time to produce these, how many people would be interested in purchasing them as a set?

The second question that I had is also going to take some more time/research, but I think that with a 4" lift a coilover swap could be fairly easily obtained. This may require cutting the factory shock tower and will require welding, but my theory is that with a fabricated lower A arm and an upper bucket/frame stiffner a ZR2 factory coilover could be swapped in place of the torsion bar. The hope is to use the ZR2 factory coilover so that the kit could be affordable/upgradable as I don't have the resources to build the entire kit and keep it affordable.

So what do you guys think? I will start a build thread this summer to show the process of how this goes, but trying to gauge interest. It will take far less time to just do this for my brother as a 1 off, but if there is enough interest I'm definitely down to produce these. Moderators I will go through the right steps to sell them on here if it goes that route.
I can fab anything, and I would not do one for me, and never offer any for sale to the public. First guy that has one fail while driving and kills or catastrophically injures anybody will wipe out your finances. The liability insurance cost to cover that would require 1000s of times more sales that you would ever be able to muster.

Good luck on your adventure.

Old 01-29-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blueoval_boy_64

While I admire your thinking, I would have to caution you on producing knuckles for a 4" lift.
The money, time & effort can be used to upgrade the front suspension and differential to a solid axle.
This will give you the option for nearly any gear ratio, add a ton of strength and articulation.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TAINTER
While I admire your thinking, I would have to caution you on producing knuckles for a 4" lift.
The money, time & effort can be used to upgrade the front suspension and differential to a solid axle.
This will give you the option for nearly any gear ratio, add a ton of strength and articulation.
Absolutely!

Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 PM

I get that going SAS is a much better/long term alternative, and I have that in the works. My whole idea to this is if there was a lack of availability to these if anyone would buy them. Not everyone has the fab skills to put in a SAS, so my thought was I'd see if there was interest in a fabbed set of knuckles for those guys wanting the older Rancho lift kits.

I definitely need to look into the insurance part though, as that may definitely be a deal killer.

Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM

Don't let the naysayers get too deep into your head; I say go for it. Keep us in the loop on the one you build for your brother, and you may indeed get more interest from others.