Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

AC Blower fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM

Thank you information it was very heplful

Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Default AC Blower Fix

I just want to say thanks for the post. Saved me much time and money without a doubt! Nothing like a little less frustration on Fathers Day. Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 08grayH3
Here's what I did; soldered the wires from the burnt connector to the resistor pack, worked for about a day and that was the end of that, replaced the resistor and wired it a little better. I ran new connectors from each wire and plugged it into the new resistor. Still didn't work. Pulled the motor out (which is easier than it looks. After you've removed everything that you've already removed to take out the harness and resistor, just unscrew three screws. Takes a little wiggling around, but easily comes out. The top screw is the hardest but a 1/4" wrench with a socket that fits, can't remember what size, gets it fairly easy.) And found the relay on the motor to be inop. Motor runs fine when directly powered from a 12v source. (I used a battery charger with a jump fnction.) Relay had some spots that looked like it got hot. Got one ordered for $15 through o'reilys. If this fixes the issue ill update this. I'm sure it will since I get power, but with the $25 resistor pack and a $15 relay, a little headache, its a lot better than the $175 the local hummer dealer wanted and if the relay was on its way out that wouldn't have even fixed it.
Ok, after all I did above, tested EVERYTHING I could and had no power at the connector to the motor. Had to break down and take it to my local GMC dealer(not my local Hummer dealer, a cadillac store now and they suck) and they found the issue to be a burnt wire at X200 connector under the steering colum. So this could be another issue you all might have if the resistor and wiring harness fix doesn't work. They assured me that that is normally the problem. First time he has seen it burnt up where it did. Thanks to Rice GMC in knoxville though for taking care of me.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by 08grayH3
Ok, after all I did above, tested EVERYTHING I could and had no power at the connector to the motor. Had to break down and take it to my local GMC dealer(not my local Hummer dealer, a cadillac store now and they suck) and they found the issue to be a burnt wire at X200 connector under the steering colum. So this could be another issue you all might have if the resistor and wiring harness fix doesn't work. They assured me that that is normally the problem. First time he has seen it burnt up where it did. Thanks to Rice GMC in knoxville though for taking care of me.
Thanks and glad you found the problem.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM

I used the different approch for a temp fix until my connector comes in. I don't understand why this isn't a recall. Guess when one of us has a HUMMER Car B-Q they might add it to the list.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 AM

Just to let you guys know, I had contacted GM per there website, at about 9pm eastern time, and received a call the very next morning. As I explained in earlier posts I went through a lot of the self fix and spent about $60 or so on parts(resistor,motor relay, wiring harness). mine happen to be a burnt up wire elsewhere, but from what I was told at the dealer, GM would have probably at least paid half of the bill had the dealer charged me. The woman who contacted me from GM was more than helpful and odds are they may have even covered the whole replacement had I contacted them from the beginning. Yeah there should be a recall, but it does seem that they are willing to help if you contact them. Even at half the bill from the dealer you're still gonna be out probably $70 or more, but maybe nothing at all and if the issue turns out to be the same as mine you'll save some headache there too.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:44 AM

I mentioned several pages back that Hummer will repair this for free. Just call the 800 number for Hummer and explain to them what it is. GMC trucks have the same issue. I have had best luck at Cadillac dealers when trying to have my Hummer worked on. The parts have been upgraded since original production to try to keep the problem from happening again... people asked me how before and I don't know. Just going on what they told me. They repaired mine and it didn't cost me a penny... and my wiring harness isn't all bunged up with self-repairs.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
I mentioned several pages back that Hummer will repair this for free. Just call the 800 number for Hummer and explain to them what it is. GMC trucks have the same issue. I have had best luck at Cadillac dealers when trying to have my Hummer worked on. The parts have been upgraded since original production to try to keep the problem from happening again... people asked me how before and I don't know. Just going on what they told me. They repaired mine and it didn't cost me a penny... and my wiring harness isn't all bunged up with self-repairs.
Are you referring to this number?
1-800-732-5493

If not, do you recall the 800 number?

How did that process work? Did you have the dealership/mechanic call that number or what?

I'm not savvy enough to solder anything and don't really want to do a bunged up self-repair.

THANKS!

Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM

I called the number mentioned above and got a repair ticket started with GM/HUMMER to take it into dealer for a diagnostic test.

They definitely made it clear on the phone call that this isn't a guaranteed free fix even though judging by this thread it's a pretty common problem and a design flaw. They said it's basically up the to the dealer and what they find when they do the diagnostic test in regards to what the issue is and what caused it.

I'll keep you guys posted on my luck.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Duddy
I called the number mentioned above and got a repair ticket started with GM/HUMMER to take it into dealer for a diagnostic test.

They definitely made it clear on the phone call that this isn't a guaranteed free fix even though judging by this thread it's a pretty common problem and a design flaw. They said it's basically up the to the dealer and what they find when they do the diagnostic test in regards to what the issue is and what caused it.

I'll keep you guys posted on my luck.
I called a 1866 # but I'm sure you got the same people. Here's a link to gmparts direct; gmpartsdirect.com: Alternate GM Catalog. After you select your make and model, click the hvac section and then hit the bottom image, both needed parts are about 47+shipping. Easy to replace and should fix the problem for now. As my earlier post said though I had a different issue that was caused by the same problem. Wire under the dash. As I was told by the repairing dealer, odds are gm will cover 50% of the repair which from what my hummer/Cadillac dealer told me was 175+tax, parts and labor. So its your call. Most everyone on here has replaced or repaired the resistor and harness and that fixed it. Hope u get it taken care of somehow.

Quick Reply: AC Blower fix