Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

ABS Fault, Traction Control Failure, Service Stab Sys.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 10:34 PM

just set the new one to whatever position the old one came out of i guess

Old 08-14-2021, 10:37 PM
NFS

Originally Posted by bronxteck
Cant do that because when I disconnected the encoder to test it out. I was moving it while it’s not connected to the truck transfer case .. so I isn’t know where it was .

Old 08-14-2021, 10:39 PM
NFS

Originally Posted by bronxteck
I need to find a way to put the transfer case on regular 4 so I can just install the piece . Or I can just install it like it is now

Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 PM

I believe the new encoder will come in the neutral position. I’m not at the shop so I cannot access my shop key to tell you for sure. Other model trucks I have replaced them on the motor came preset to the neutral position. Your code is basically just a generic code telling you for one reason or another the transfer case TCCM is reporting back to the PCM that the transfer case didn’t fully move into the selection you made inside the truck with the buttons. You already knew that tho. Lol. Without being there to actually test the motor with an OHM meter I’m taking my best educated guess and gonna say the encoder motor is indeed bad. I posted way earlier in the thread a link to ohm out the wiring on the motor with it off. Which wires to test and what the general readings should be. You’ve already bought a motor so my best advice is …..kick back, have a cold beverage of your choice and wait for your new motor to arrive. If I don’t forget about it Monday I will drop by the shop and pull the shop key instructions on encoder replacement. I’m sure it will tell me what position to put the case in. I’m going to guess it’s either going to be neutral or possibly the AWD setting (4 hi far left button) as a default.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:55 PM

I HIGHLY doubt there is a mechanical issue inside the case such as fork or gears. Your issues would be quite different and I’m guessing rather noisy and not drivable.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:56 PM
NFS

Originally Posted by billygsims
I believe the new encoder will come in the neutral position. I’m not at the shop so I cannot access my shop key to tell you for sure. Other model trucks I have replaced them on the motor came preset to the neutral position. Your code is basically just a generic code telling you for one reason or another the transfer case TCCM is reporting back to the PCM that the transfer case didn’t fully move into the selection you made inside the truck with the buttons. You already knew that tho. Lol. Without being there to actually test the motor with an OHM meter I’m taking my best educated guess and gonna say the encoder motor is indeed bad. I posted way earlier in the thread a link to ohm out the wiring on the motor with it off. Which wires to test and what the general readings should be. You’ve already bought a motor so my best advice is …..kick back, have a cold beverage of your choice and wait for your new motor to arrive. If I don’t forget about it Monday I will drop by the shop and pull the shop key instructions on encoder replacement. I’m sure it will tell me what position to put the case in. I’m going to guess it’s either going to be neutral or possibly the AWD setting (4 hi far left button) as a default.
I really appreciate ur help. I would assume
the new motor come in neutral as well. But I wanted to know when I take the old one off do I have to use a wrench to shift the fork to the right or left or certain position before installing the new motor this way they both match? Or do I just take off the old one and put the new one in? When I was missing around with the older motor I put it back in and it fit fine but probably the fork might not be aligned with the motor and I want to make sure so I don’t cause any damage

Old 08-14-2021, 10:58 PM
NFS

Originally Posted by billygsims
I HIGHLY doubt there is a mechanical issue inside the case such as fork or gears. Your issues would be quite different and I’m guessing rather noisy and not drivable.
okay I see, even there none of the 4 wheel settings are selected not even regular 4 wheel drive . The car is driving normal. But I don’t know if the settings are on 4 wheel high or low or just regular cus when I start the car the code come right away and none of the lights are selected and if I press on any of them they will blink for few seconds then go away

Old 08-14-2021, 11:21 PM

Honestly I’m gonna have to give you and I don’t know on which way to turn the thing to get to neutral. I’ve never had mine off. I may not go into place unless both motor and encoder are in the same position. Not really sure. I’ll give it a look on shop key and see. It prolly will tell me.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

There are threads here on what position the T Case encoder needs to be in when installing it on the T Case in 4 Hi. Get the proper orientation.

If you blew passed the T Case buttons because "you do not think it is the buttons" you are wasting our time. The buttons getting cruddy and stuck have cause many failures, more than the encoder motors. The typical KO for the T Case encoder is too much water, happens when you get stuck in water/mud deep enough to keep the encoder motor wet for 20-30 minutes or more. Sucks when you are hours from home and cannot get out of low range..... had to have one of our buddies 08 Alpha hauled home on a flatbed.

You can also shift the T case with a pair of pliers to line it up when mounting the encoder.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:35 AM
NFS

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
There are threads here on what position the T Case encoder needs to be in when installing it on the T Case in 4 Hi. Get the proper orientation.

If you blew passed the T Case buttons because "you do not think it is the buttons" you are wasting our time. The buttons getting cruddy and stuck have cause many failures, more than the encoder motors. The typical KO for the T Case encoder is too much water, happens when you get stuck in water/mud deep enough to keep the encoder motor wet for 20-30 minutes or more. Sucks when you are hours from home and cannot get out of low range..... had to have one of our buddies 08 Alpha hauled home on a flatbed.

You can also shift the T case with a pair of pliers to line it up when mounting the encoder.

thank you so much. So let me try to get this right . When I receive the new encoder it should be Already on the mark . But my concern is the transfer case it self do I have to move the fork with a wrench to certain spot before installing the new encoder or no?

Quick Reply: ABS Fault, Traction Control Failure, Service Stab Sys.