Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

4wd issue...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 01:14 PM
Default 4wd issue...

i was recently rear ended. cosmetically nothing was really damaged aside from the spare wheel cover being rubbed, the trailer hitch connection for the lights being slightly bent and the license place light being broken. took the insurance money to put aside for more important repairs that might come up with the H3. the last week i've been driving it i've noticed some sluggishness when i accelerate and a whirring noise from the front end like the 4wd has been activated. now when i bought the H3 i was told the 4wd did NOT work and needed repairs to function. i tested it out by pressing the 4L and 4H buttons and the high would light up but the other wouldn't (would continuously flash but not engage).... but this was before my accident. pushing the regular wheel function button doesn't seem to do anything and now it seems to be going from engaged to not engaged or from what i can feel.

how would i know for sure if it's stuck on 4 wheel drive low or high ? and if it is how would i disable this so that it's just the regular all wheel drive or whatever it is that is basic when you are driving in the city (rear wheel ?). i don't need the off road use really or at least not at this time. so if i can disable it for now that would be ideal. i haven't noticed it drinking more gas than usual.... so this has me stumped. as well i have been hearing a clunking sound from the front right or just back from there (under the front passenger area) that started to sound around the same time. i questioned my wife if she had driven over anything large or into a deep pothole and she says she hasn't. i recently had the gas tank pump replaced and they did an inspection afterwards for anything else that may need to be replaced or of concern to watch for and nothing was noted.... would they have had to do anything remotely with with the 4 wheel system to remove the gas tank that they might have accidentally screwed up something ?

would like to avoid costs i don't or shouldn't need to pay if i can... so hoping i can do some trouble shooting with your help before i resort to having a garage or dealership get their hands on it. all help is extremely appreciated !

Old 10-19-2021, 01:18 PM

oh, also like i've noticed in other postings about 4wd issues... mine also popped up with the "service 4wd" warning..... which leads me to believe it somehow engaged and won't disengage.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Good news is your 4wd works because H3s are ALWAYS in 4wd. I take it you mean it does not shift to lock or Lo.

1) Scan for hidden codes with a scanner (not a cheap code reader) and post them here. 2) Unplug the T Case Actuator, clean the connection both sides w/ CRC Electronic Cleaner, re-connect. 3) Inspect the wiring harness to the T Case Actuator.

You might have a defective plastic T Case shift fork so you may want to do some searching and reading here on that topic. You could also clean the T Case dash switched, they get goobered up and malfunction.