Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

3rd brake light and defroster connector stuck

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 10:57 PM
Question 3rd brake light and defroster connector stuck

Hoping someone has run across this before. I am having a horrible time separating the connector halves for the 3 rd brake light and defroster connector. This is my second H3, and I have disconnected this connector on my prior one without issue. On my newest addition (09 H3 champ, 118K miles) I can't get the connector halves to separate. This is the big square white connector mounted behind the rear door trim on the driver side of the door. There are 4 wires in the connector - two thicker wires go to the rear defroster, and two thinner wires to the 3rd brake light. The connector has a push to release tab and the two halves should separate with the tab pressed and a little wiggling and force to pull the halves apart. At least in theory. I've tried pulling, wiggling, prying, CRC contact cleaning, all without success. The plastic parts seem to be free, so I'm assuming the connector terminals are either corroded or welded together. I'm about ready to cut the connector out of the harness and just use spade connectors on the individual wires.

Any one got any ideas on other things to try to get this dang thing apart before I go crazy with the wire cutters?

Old 08-16-2021, 06:57 AM

A picture would help. Without seeing it all I can tell you is some connectors have a tab that has to be pulled rearward before you can push down on the release.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:23 AM
Question

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
A picture would help. Without seeing it all I can tell you is some connectors have a tab that has to be pulled rearward before you can push down on the release.
Agreed, but I didn't decide to post for help until after I had already put it all back together and spent a hour searching the forums to see if I could find an answer. I'll see if I can grab a picture tonight.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:41 PM

Old 08-17-2021, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Connectorology: OR... pushed together then squeeze the release while doing the disconnect.

Old 08-17-2021, 03:58 PM

Connector locking tab looks distorted. Simply insert a thin blade in the slot, to release the tab.
Or you could disconnect with a sawzall?

Old 08-18-2021, 08:23 AM

Thanks Doc - I'll try the push before pull thing and see if that works.

@Hummerz - I did try it with a small screwdriver in behind the tab to make sure it was disengaged, but that didn't change anything. The distortion you see is from trying to "gently" pry the parts apart previously, but being a little too vigorous. As near as I can tell the connector is bound up in the area of one of the thicker wires. I see motion in each of the other 3 corners when gently prying with the locking tab pressed/disengaged. The remaining corner does not budge when I use a little leverage to try to separate the two connector halves.

I've had this specific connector apart in a prior H3 and there was nothing remarkable or tricky about it, but for some reason the one on this new truck is not cooperating. I suspect its something sticking in the metal connector pins. I've tried squirting some CRC QD Electronic Cleaner down there, but maybe I need a different solvent/lubricant?

Thanks again for any and all ideas or suggestions of things to try.

Peter

Old 07-13-2022, 07:22 PM

Following up on this thread from last year in case anyone else runs into this issue. I finally revisited the stuck connector I had on the back swing door harness where it branches off to the stop light and and defroster. I was much more aggressive at dissecting the connector this time, and when I finally got it apart I found that the connector plastic had melted near where the defroster power pins mated and the top and bottom halves of the connector plastic had spot welded themselves together.

If anyone happens to know or have access to a part number for the connector that would be great. Mine is now precariously held together with a zip tie and unicorn tears.

Unfortunately, we don't often get Hummers at our local u-pull-&-pay here in NM.

Old 07-13-2022, 08:02 PM

worst case you can use lever wire nut connectors that allows the wires to be separated if ever needed
something that functions like this https://tinyurl.com/ycxf22r2

Old 07-13-2022, 08:40 PM

De-pin and Re-pin

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light and defroster connector stuck