Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

*Update to ongoing "creaking" noise plus new issue with H3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Default *Update to ongoing "creaking" noise plus new issue with H3

So I have told you guys about my previous visits at the dealer for a creaking noise when turning at low speeds or going over bumps at low speeds. 1st few times dealer finds nothing. Next they grease the bushings and noise is gone for about 3 days. I bring it back and spoke with manager and said it would make sense that it needs new bushings but they had to go by what GM approved for repairs. So GM says...new ball joints. The night I drove it home I got the same noise when pulling in the driveway. I bring it back to the dealer and they call me and say that the hood cushions were loose and the noise was gone. That was it. before I picked it up I called GM and they now have an open complaint with me and someone who comunicates with the dealer for the issue. I told GM there is no way it is the hood...it is coming from under the truck when when the body or frame turns. I said you are not allowing the dealer to replace what needs to be replaced and you are wasting my time and yours. I said you are dropping the ball on Hummers because you are not making them anymore and could care less. The rep assured me they cared and also said "well Hummers are not constructed for conventional driving and are noisy". I told her that was a bunch of crap and not acceptable and that I wanted them to take it back and give me a new one. I get a call 3 days later from the dealer that my parts are in. I call and say "what parts". Needless to say the H3 is there right now getting NEW BUSHINGS!!! The service guy just called me and said the body is off of the frame right now so it won't be done until maybe tomorrow. Long I know but maybe this will help you guys if you are not getting anywhere with BS at the dealer.
My new issue is a high pitch whine coming from my steering wheel every time I turn it. Anyone ever have that? They will be looking at that tomorrow. Also when it is time for me to get tires I am going with the biggest ones the warranty will allow. What do you guys think of spacers for the tires and will they void the warranty?? TIA
Jen

Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

I had a creaking issue with my 08 when going over humps in the parking garage at work. It was only at low speed and when the vehicle would rock side to side (during body roll). The dealership ( Friendly Hummer in Macomb Twp) replaced both rear leaf springs and both rear shackles. Noise has been gone for 19 months. Hope this helps.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 PM

The noise is the ribon in the steering wheel for the horn and airbag! Soory for caps!mine has been replaced twice.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:47 PM

I can explain this problem..I have been through everything you described....I have educated a Hummer dealer on the problem, but they could not get GM to fix it other thsn offer more pasrts - that's where the problem lies - more parts would not fix it...The problem is in the mounting of the rack and pinion steering. There is an isolation bushing on the main body of the rack on the passenger side, there is a bushing with a stamped clamp around the bushing that mounts the unit to the frame, do not confuse these, make sure you are looking at the one held in place with a stamping clamp. The bushing ID is SOMETIMES tool large, creating a bit of clearance between the rack shaft housing and the bushing, under heavy load, such as pulling inot a drive or certain angled bumps, it feels like problems in the steering, steering wheel, suspension, etc. I have currently own an H3T and A H3, previously owned three other H3's - Hope this helps. Oh - the fix is having a custom polyurethane bushing made, or wrap the the rack with stainless steel shim stock to eliminate the extra clearance between the bushing and rack. This problem can be seen if on a lift, turning the wheels back and forth to full stop.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM

I am having a creeping noise in the front end now also.. 103k I could see stamp clamp wearing out! The noise is coming from the rack and pinion area, when turning and hitting bumps. It is a terrible creeping noise! Basically I need to replace the stamps clamps or shim stock? If so where can I find these?

Thanks!!!

Old 05-23-2013, 02:18 PM

This is what you need to fix steering rack issues
Hummer H3 Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit - OUTFITTER DESIGN

For tires, you can go up to 35" without any modifications.
315/75/16 on OEM wheels in a MT pattern look great.
If you want to stick with 33's then go with a 305/70/16

Don't use spacers!!!

Last edited by Bunger; 05-23-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
This is what you need to fix steering rack issues
Hummer H3 Steering Rack Reinforcement Kit - OUTFITTER DESIGN

For tires, you can go up to 35" without any modifications.
315/75/16 on OEM wheels in a MT pattern look great.
If you want to stick with 33's then go with a 305/70/16

Don't use spacers!!!

Agreed

Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM

and this will fix my creeping noise also??