PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back up camera advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:57 PM
Default Back up camera advice

Visibility is a real problem backing with my H2 SUT on 22" rims. I know nothing about back up cameras, but having one would be a great help. Is there a back up camera made for Hummers that will adapt to the factory in-dash Hummer monitor? Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:17 PM

upgrade your stereo head unit to a new one with the backup camera. i just upgraded to a pioneer and it works well. and still have the monsone. Crutchfield will even make the wire harness so it is plug and play.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:19 PM

I know little to nothing about electrical, so could you tell me exactly what Pioneer unit you purchased and Crutchfield's link? Just assume I am Sgt. Schultz. I KNOW NOTHING!!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:31 PM

It would be cheaper to buy a new head unit as the back up camera interfaces to use the factory screen are just as expensive as a cheaper head unit with this feature already included.

Or you could go the route I went and add a small screen with a backup camera. All you need is 12 volt power and grounds and running the included wires and you are good to go. Check the last page of my build thread for some pics if you'd like.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:12 PM

I've been doing some more research on this and it appears what I need is a "plug and play video interface" and a back up camera for my Hummer. Waaaaay cheaper than footing the bill for the Pioneer (thanks much woodwardsh3). The folks at Crutchfield were super helpful with much great advice (HIGHLY recommended). My in-dash Nav, radio, and screen work just fine, so I don't see any reason to replace the whole unit. I have found several on line, so it looks like I got it figured out. Thanks to everyone who were so kind to assist me.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rustywhite
I've been doing some more research on this and it appears what I need is a "plug and play video interface" and a back up camera for my Hummer. Waaaaay cheaper than footing the bill for the Pioneer (thanks much woodwardsh3). The folks at Crutchfield were super helpful with much great advice (HIGHLY recommended). My in-dash Nav, radio, and screen work just fine, so I don't see any reason to replace the whole unit. I have found several on line, so it looks like I got it figured out. Thanks to everyone who were so kind to assist me.

So which module was it? I have priced all the popular modules are they are at least $250 and much more.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
So which module was it? I have priced all the popular modules are they are at least $250 and much more.
According to the folks at CarID, this reasonably priced unit will seamlessly hook right up to my '05 Hummer's existing NAV screen. It's wireless, color, has a beeping proximity alert and easy to install, but they (and I) recommend a professional installer to put it in. It's currently on its way here and I'll keep you guys posted on how well it works. wireless back up camera

Last edited by rustywhite; 04-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:47 PM

So it transmits to the FM radio band like an FM modulator? I'm curious how they explained it to you because without a much more expensive module there is not much that can directly plug and play into the factory nav.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
So it transmits to the FM radio band like an FM modulator? I'm curious how they explained it to you because without a much more expensive module there is not much that can directly plug and play into the factory nav.
I figured the same thing. I freely admit I know little to nothing about electronics, so basically I was at their mercy when they explained it to me. I asked them directly; Will this interface with my existing NAV/radio monitor and require nothing else? They said yes it would, as a Hummer H2 was what it was specifically designed for. The description says it transmits up to 45 ft connect to a constant power source. Reading the installation instructions, it sound pretty simple and straightforward. FWIW the reviews rated it very high. I would suggest you go to the link I provided and check it out for yourself.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by rustywhite
I figured the same thing. I freely admit I know little to nothing about electronics, so basically I was at their mercy when they explained it to me. I asked them directly; Will this interface with my existing NAV/radio monitor and require nothing else? They said yes it would, as a Hummer H2 was what it was specifically designed for. The description says it transmits up to 45 ft connect to a constant power source. Reading the installation instructions, it sound pretty simple and straightforward. FWIW the reviews rated it very high. I would suggest you go to the link I provided and check it out for yourself.

I did look at it. I had contacted them a while back as well inquiring about backup cameras but they sent me to a different universal module. I can't remember which one it was but needless to say it was still expensive and I decided to go a different route which was much cheaper.