PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What year H2 would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:39 AM
Default What year H2 would you recommend?

Hello,

I am considering the purchase of an H2 Lux and would greatly appreciate your thoughts regarding problems, benefits, etc. of MY 2003, 2004, and 2005 vehicles. To move forward in the model years seems to cost between $6,000 and $8,000. The 03 has about 50K miles and there is about a 15K reduction for each model year going forward with regard to the vehicles I am considering. Thus, from a reliability and enjoyment standpoint - where is the best value?

I've done some research on this forum and others in this regard (read about the radiator issues with the AT fluid), but am running out of time and still not comfortable with the knowledge I have acquired to date. Also, with regard to an '03, should the mirrors fold to the body? I thought they would, but could not figure how to make them do this in the time I had with the vehicle.

Your help is appreciated.
Jonathan

Old 06-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Default RE: What year H2 would you recommend?

I'd go with the 05!! Make sure it has the Ebony Interior. I find the Leather WAY SOFTER than the wheat! IMO!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:24 AM

If you are looking for automatic folding mirrors you're not going to see it on an -03. I still rely on the ol leaning out the window and pulling mine in :-) I would personally go for an -03 ... some of the features in them went away in later model years, convienience stuff. If that doesn't matter I'd say go with what the wallet can handle!
As far as issue I've got 50K and change on my -03 and I'veNEVER had one single problem with the rig. I did bend up my underbody protection pretty good last time I went wheelin' but no damage and no broken parts. Dealer beat the metal back in to submission at no cost to me so .... all in all I think you will be pleased regardless of model year. I would probably go with an extended warranty if I was you though. Ididn't at first but now that I'm wheelin' mine quite a bit I thought it was worth the 3K since my dealer covers offroad damage no questions asked.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 AM

actually, the '03 did come with the folding mirrors. with the mirror selector switch in the center position, press on the right side of the adjustment button, they should fold in. press on the left side to return them to their normal position. mine stopped working after a few trips through the idiot car wash and i had them replaced under warranty with the stock style (the new look is atrocious, like we need another badge stating the vehicle is an H2).

as for the radiator, i know a few people that have had that failure, but so far (after 70K) miles, i've only cracked the coolant reservoir. it's a crapshoot on whether it will go or not, and i've had my coolant temp up in the 245 degree range pulling my camper uphill.

aside from some color options, there's very little difference in the model years your looking at, and mechanically there's no difference. get what you can afford and what makes you happy.a brand new one could leave you sitting in the street as you pull out of the dealership, or an '03 could run great for another 100K miles. whatever you get, if you have the option, i'd recommend an extended warranty. if you break stuff (not that i do it intentionally), it will pay for itself over time (for some, a shorter time than others )

good luck

Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

I'd have to go with a Birch White 2003.....

As for the mirrors, I have the folding06 replacements.... with the H2 logo.... but have no side badges.

It's also my opinion that you should consider where you are located and if it is worth the time and effort to travel for a good deal.... 2's are very plentiful around here and the deals I have seen are around 6-7k less than areas where there are fewer vehicles.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:23 PM

I have an '06 (UltraLUX - fully-optioned and then some)and aside from the H2's inherent windshield side pillar trim rattle which was 'fixed' under warranty,the H2'ssunroof/moonroof quit fully closing within the first two months of ownership. After the entire sunroof/moonroof unit was replaced under warranty, I've experienced no other problems with the H2whatsoever.I utilize the folding mirrors feature all of the time whilst parking, as to avoid possible accidental damage by others, and its function is operated exactly as how 'Shorty' stated. BTW, I opted for the GM extended warranty as well, after reviewing this forum for suggestions prior to actuallypurchasing my H2. Unless you really want/need to purchase an H2'right away', then I'd just might wait until the '08 models become available. Depending upon the public's interest in/acceptance ofthe 'revamped' version of the H2, there might just be a huge amount of pre-owned H2s available in a few moths at some really good deals...good luck.Name:  Winkingsmileyanimated.gif
Views: 82
Size:  801 Bytes

Name:  NewHummerH2Photos114Medium.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  88.6 KB

Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 PM

Thank you very much for your input, and a key question of mine was answered regarding any mechanical differences between the model years.

Since this worked so well for me I'm going to try for the remaining issues of importance from my standpoint. Of the aftermarket bench seats, which would you recommend? It seems that one has 3 seatbelts with the outer two being shoulder and that another only has two lap belts. The one with 3 belts seems the way to go, b/c I need to seat 3, but it is quite expensive. Also, where to put the tyre because I cannot put it on the back. While the roof seems obvious, this will create clearance issues with a number of parking garages I think. I presume there is no location under the vehicle as it otherwise would already be there, but hey thought I would ask. I'm afraid of looking at what run flat rims and tyres would be in these dimensions.

Thank you again,

Jonathan

Old 06-21-2007, 02:52 AM

If you NEED it, I'd go with the 3 seatbelts, 2 being shoulder ones.

I'm ASSUMING since you spelled tire...tyre, that you are probably in England. I DON'T carry a spare as GM Roadside Assistance would take care of towing me if I got a flat. I also have extended warranty. IF I still have the Rig when that expires, I'll get CAA(same as AAA in the states). But I'm not sure if you have anything like this overseas. There is NO room for the spare under the Rig!!

Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 AM

Actually, I'm not in England, but Chicago. My spelling is a product of multiple things, so words spelled like tyre and colour sometimes happen without intent :-).
I expected no room under the vehicle, so basically put it on the roof, rely on roadside assistance, or put faith in an air compressor and can of fix-a-flat. Actually, in the city there is no reason to worry as roadside is everywhere and a garage is usually within 0.25 mile at most. I'm wondering if any of the rear holders are easily removed, so you could put on the part that holds the tire with the tire when needed. (I watched my spelling on those).
On the seat, I agree with you. I need to be able to seat three, so I guess I get to pay my money.
What is the classiest place in the interior to add 3 gauges in your opinion? I would like to be able to monitor the temp of the tranny and diff fluids if possible. I believe there may be some type of gear temp gauge in the vehicle, but wonder if it works like most factory gauges and is horribly innacurate.

I guess I should stop about now, you guys have been very helpful and I don't want to wear out my welcome.

Thank you again

Old 06-22-2007, 02:42 AM

This has 2 gauges:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Speed...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: What year H2 would you recommend?