Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Transmission pan with drain plug- how to add

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:21 AM
Default Transmission pan with drain plug- how to add

Hi All,
For those of you who wish to be proactive in transmission care- a great add is a transmission pan with a drain plug. Sure you can remove existing and take to (or do yourself) drill and weld a plug in, however I was not feeling that ambitious and when the route of buying a new pan with the plug already in it.
Here is a link to a pan already with the plug for $38 (currently on sale on amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U6ELS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U6ELS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will also need a new pan gasket and filter kit while you are in there - here is another link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9LOHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C9LOHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and some new fluid -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKMGG92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKMGG92/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To remove the old pan is really easy since you dont even need to jack up the rig, most people can simply slide under and work comfortably on your back. Since I was going to replace the pan with a new one I decided upon the easiest way to remove the fluid from underneath- I simply grabbed my cordless drill, a 1/4" bit and a piece of PVC pipe I slid over the drill bit to only leave a 1/4" of tip exposed. This makes it so as soon as the tip cuts through it bottoms out on the PVC. I drilled by the drain plug area I believe if memory serves me right Just be aware as soon as you drill - fluid will come so have a pan under area and a tarp (etc). Once empty, there are two torx crews that hold the linkage up on side of pan, you can reach above and feel them- its a T40 I believe and you do not need to remove them , loosen just enough to lean the bracket. Remove the pan bolts. Thats it. Now you can replace the filter, gasket and install the new pan. (remember to clean the trans surface if gasket residue is present). Torque the bolts to spec progressively and by pattern. (9 ft-lb, 11 n-m), tighten the 2 linkage screws.

I had my rock guard already removed since I was doing all new fluids everywhere and was cleaning everywhere anyways...

when you fill it will NOT take full capacity of the transmission. Approx 5 - 6 quarts is a pan swap fluid capacity. What many do is over a few thousand miles, replace the fluid twice or 3x. That will eventually make all your fluid about new. Once you have the fluid at correct level, add about 5 quarts through dipstick, get truck warm shift through gears and check in park while idle- make sure you dont overfill.
Once you have at correct fluid level, you can measure what you remove and fill back the exact amount (of course recheck on dipstick) this makes future changes literally a 10 minute task.

Again verify my info on specs, refil procedure for exact methods (I am going by memory).

here is a pic of the Dorman pan installed-

Last edited by Chrmer3; 05-29-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:34 PM

Odd, my truck has a drain plug on the trans from factory, 99% sure the replacement trans does as well.

Excellent write up none-the-less

Old 05-29-2020, 12:50 PM

It do, see above

I suddenly have a strong urge to get soap and a rag and clean under my truck. I have my trans shield painted up right just need to get my exhaust rattle fixed before I reinstall.

Last edited by iwillnc; 05-29-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by iwillnc

It do, see above

The purpose of a drain plug is to be at the lowest part of the pan. You can partially drain the pain with your plug, however you will still need to drop the pan to removed the remaining fluid/sediments.
oem pan:

Old 05-29-2020, 03:06 PM

I notice his pan has the indentation for the drain plug but no plug.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:30 PM

I notice his pan has the indentation for the drain plug but no plug.
Correct since you would still have to drop the pan. Look at the relocated drain plug(indentation downward), now you can drain and fill, without dropping the pan, just like changing the engine oil.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Correct since you would still have to drop the pan. Look at the relocated drain plug(indentation downward), now you can drain and fill, without dropping the pan, just like changing the engine oil.

Not to dismiss your point but don’t you change the engine oil filter when you change the engine oil?

Old 05-29-2020, 06:32 PM

Not to dismiss your point but don’t you change the engine oil filter when you change the engine oil?
I change my engine oil & filter 1-2 times a year, depends on the color of the oil,
however, I don't replace the pickup screen.
Think about it!
I've replaced transmission fluid many times, and only replaced the filter once, yet the old filter(aka pickup screen) was still clean.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chrmer3
Hi All,
For those of you who wish to be proactive in transmission care- a great add is a transmission pan with a drain plug. Sure you can remove existing and take to (or do yourself) drill and weld a plug in, however I was not feeling that ambitious and when the route of buying a new pan with the plug already in it.
Here is a link to a pan already with the plug for $38 (currently on sale on amazon)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You will also need a new pan gasket and filter kit while you are in there - here is another link:
and some new fluid -

To remove the old pan is really easy since you dont even need to jack up the rig, most people can simply slide under and work comfortably on your back. Since I was going to replace the pan with a new one I decided upon the easiest way to remove the fluid from underneath- I simply grabbed my cordless drill, a 1/4" bit and a piece of PVC pipe I slid over the drill bit to only leave a 1/4" of tip exposed. This makes it so as soon as the tip cuts through it bottoms out on the PVC. I drilled by the drain plug area I believe if memory serves me right Just be aware as soon as you drill - fluid will come so have a pan under area and a tarp (etc). Once empty, there are two torx crews that hold the linkage up on side of pan, you can reach above and feel them- its a T40 I believe and you do not need to remove them , loosen just enough to lean the bracket. Remove the pan bolts. Thats it. Now you can replace the filter, gasket and install the new pan. (remember to clean the trans surface if gasket residue is present). Torque the bolts to spec progressively and by pattern. (9 ft-lb, 11 n-m), tighten the 2 linkage screws.

I had my rock guard already removed since I was doing all new fluids everywhere and was cleaning everywhere anyways...

when you fill it will NOT take full capacity of the transmission. Approx 5 - 6 quarts is a pan swap fluid capacity. What many do is over a few thousand miles, replace the fluid twice or 3x. That will eventually make all your fluid about new. Once you have the fluid at correct level, add about 5 quarts through dipstick, get truck warm shift through gears and check in park while idle- make sure you dont overfill.
Once you have at correct fluid level, you can measure what you remove and fill back the exact amount (of course recheck on dipstick) this makes future changes literally a 10 minute task.

Again verify my info on specs, refil procedure for exact methods (I am going by memory).

here is a pic of the Dorman pan installed-
Nice work! The 4L60E, since '92, with proper maintenance, will last 300k+miles. All you need to do is monitor the fluid color.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:03 PM

I heard some of the transmissions had factory plugs, I think when I read about it, that GM (tahoes, pick ups etc) did all of them up until a certain year and than omitted them (cost cutting or making most people have to use a dealer for trans service?)

I do realize it has to come down for filter service however instead of doing a 75,000 mile service (or whatever the interval is) I can change fluid every 20,000 miles easily if I wish to. Going for longevity of the tranny & clean fluid has to make a difference on that,