Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

transmission flush/pan drop/ or what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Default transmission flush/pan drop/ or what to do?

hey guys! i have a 2003 hummer h2, original transmission with 240,000 km on it. i dont really remember the transmission maintenance that was done but i am 99.9% my mechanic did a pan drop on it like 5-6 years ago but i dont know how many km's that was. i was thinking about putting some new fluid in it just to keep it maintained for the rest of its life time

so would you guys just recommend me to only do a pan drop? transmission flush? even tho i heard those are bad and lastly i have seen shops that have this machine that hooks up to the cooler lines or something and extracts all the 12 quarts or whatever the whole system holds and pumps in new fluid at the same time, should i do that?

thanks!

Old 02-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Since I do my own maintenance i like to do the pan drop, that gives me a chance to see the condition of the fluid that comes out. Visual/Oder and and on occasions taste accidentally Hah. also get to see what sediment lays in the pan and filter condition. I will always do this on new to me vehicles and for sure if five years have past.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

ahh ok thanks! ill prob drop pan as well and change filter but i was thinking about doing a full cooler line pull type of fush because i dont wanna mix synthetic fluid with whatever was in it before, or does that not matter? because i assume it just had regular dexron iii in before, so maybe at this age its better to keep same fluid idk

Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 PM

Me personally both need to be done,

If you only do the pan drop and filter replacement you are left with somewhere in the area of 2 or more quarts (12 to 15 total) of old fluid left in the trans that you cannot get out (converter, cooler, etc). If you do the flush they will as you mentioned disconnect the cooler lines and hook it up to a machine that will pump fresh fluid in as it removes the old, when they see clean fluid they shut it down leaving the old filter in place and any debris laying in the bottom of the pan. This is why I say both, if a flush is done and then you drop the pan inspect/clean the bottom of the pan and replace the filter you now have fresh fluid and a new filter.

Neal

Old 02-05-2020, 09:23 PM

ahh gothca thanks sounds good!!
i assume my truck is probably running dexron 6 since they started phasing out dexron 3 in 2005 ish, so does that mean i can run any syhtnetic dexron 6
i wsa reading and some trans builders say that dexron iii conventional should always be used since synthetics are too slippery and the 4l60e's dont like them, but i assume my truck is running mostly synthetic since the pan was probably dropped a couple times and replaced with dexron 6?

thanks

Old 02-06-2020, 08:00 AM

Drop the pan. put a new AC Delco filter and refill it with Dexron 6. I stay away from flushing machines.

Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by legerwn
Me personally both need to be done,

If you only do the pan drop and filter replacement you are left with somewhere in the area of 2 or more quarts (12 to 15 total) of old fluid left in the trans that you cannot get out (converter, cooler, etc). If you do the flush they will as you mentioned disconnect the cooler lines and hook it up to a machine that will pump fresh fluid in as it removes the old, when they see clean fluid they shut it down leaving the old filter in place and any debris laying in the bottom of the pan. This is why I say both, if a flush is done and then you drop the pan inspect/clean the bottom of the pan and replace the filter you now have fresh fluid and a new filter.

Neal
x2 both is the only way to get fresh clean fluid! When not knowing the maintenance history, it's important to check the color of the fluid and go from there, and make sure to always use DEX VI.

Old 02-06-2020, 06:29 PM

thanks for the replies everyone! i was reading on the ls1 forum and some reputable transmission builders all recommend to use conventional dexron 3 for the 4l60e because apparently the synthetics are too slippery and may cause premature failure on clutches since they cant grab as well apprently or something. i have no clue what fluid is in the truck rn, it could be dex 3 fully, or it could be dex 6 full. or it could be a mix of both. i do not remember any of the maintnenance history on it/ what fluid it has

would it be problematic to switch to dex 3 if lets say it has had dex 6 in it mostly its whole life?
i als heard never to switch to synthetics later in life as it introduces leaks etc, so if my truck has mostly had dex 3 conventional its whole life i wanna put the same fluid in again

Old 02-06-2020, 07:08 PM

I have alternated every 30k since new on my 2010 H3 Alpha. 150k with no problems.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:17 PM

Quick Reply: transmission flush/pan drop/ or what to do?