Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Testing for bad idler arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 02:08 PM

One says output shaft bushing and one says extension bushing.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM

I think the ACDelco is better. That seems to be like a coated finish on the oem. You have no clue what or how the other ones made. They don’t look like the same length and I’m probably not a big fan of cut all the way through.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:42 PM

The brass one is the only one that said it fit my Hummer. The other one says it wouldn’t fit. I’m not sure why. And I think they may be two different things. Having a hard time identifying them. I’d like to have the parts when I do the work. I can’t tell if I ordered the right thing.

Old 09-08-2019, 05:45 PM

myrddin, you can throw parts at it and hope it works? Or you can diagnose the source of the cause?
I always diagnose the latter.
You posted a video showing the movement. Nice work! That tells me that the output shaft bearing is worn.
Now you post that you can correct by replacing the seal? Then the bushing and seal?
It's obvious to me with the videos that you posted, that you let the TC run low on fluid.
What happens when a bearing is not lubricated?
What supports the output shaft?
I know, The output shaft bearing is the heavy duty bearing installed in the vehicle’s transfer case that supports and secures the output shaft into place. The bearing keeps the shaft from wobbling as it rotates, and thus allows it to spin smoothly so that power can be transferred efficiently.
However in your video, it does not appear that the bearing is keeping the shaft from wobbling:

Old 09-08-2019, 08:10 PM

Hummerz, thank you for responding... oddly enough I have never let any of the fluids go low... at least not while I have owned it. And in fact it’s not low even now. It will only show drops of fluid if I forcefully move it up and down (as in the video). My reading showed the bushing to be the cause and I was looking for a way to replace it (recommended way is to replace the case half). I found a repair shop that makes a serviceable bushing. And was working on finding the tool to pull it out so I didn’t need to split the case.

Now with what your telling me the bushing is not the cause but the HD bearing at the back on the front half is the problem. I’m not sure what to do.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:19 PM

How many miles? Personally I would not put a bandaid on it. I will pull it out and have it rebuilt and replace the worn parts. There is probably other issues that will manifest soon after you fix the immediate problem. Then you have know that it’s 100%. I had a front seal leaking on my transmission and I rebuilt the whole thing and transmission guy said that it looked good and only needed a seal. Everyone has a different opinion on how to do something and none of them are wrong. I just try to make the most of it while it’s apart.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:42 PM

What do you think it would cost to have it rebuilt? I might be able to pull it out and take it to someone... or do you think I I could do the rebuild? I’m an older guy but have built motors and worked on many hot rods. I have removed and replaced transmissions. And swapped bell housings and tail shafts. But never have I opened a transfer case or a transmission.

Thoughts

Old 09-08-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by myrddin
What do you think it would cost to have it rebuilt? I might be able to pull it out and take it to someone... or do you think I I could do the rebuild? I’m an older guy but have built motors and worked on many hot rods. I have removed and replaced transmissions. And swapped bell housings and tail shafts. But never have I opened a transfer case or a transmission.

Thoughts
Watch a few yt videos and see what you think. Personally I think it’s possible. My guy here will go through it for 350 plus whatever parts it needs. You could save 400 by doing it yourself. I’m old also and I think I could do it but at 350 and have a professional do it is it worth it?

Old 09-08-2019, 08:58 PM

Valid point. I wouldn't know who to take it to. I guess I will think on it for a bit and do something. Looks like I can get a total rebuild kit for less than 400.... I may call around tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:03 PM

Quick Reply: Testing for bad idler arm