Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Stuck shut engine Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 02:38 PM

LOL - I had one on the back drivers side and another on front pass side. When I did the headers 3 more broke off for a total of 5 to extract. The only one that fought me and ultimately won was the rear drivers side one. Ended up putting the clamp thing back on that one on the new headers. Works just fine and sort of wish I had given up 4 hours of fighting it sooner.

Just be VERY careful prying or straining that fiberglass hood too much. You damn sure dont want to have to replace that....

Old 07-06-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Butler
You're joking right
Had to ask. I've seen worse.

I don't think you can force it open as the latch will only get tighter while its locked. You would be better off pushing down on the hood while pulling the latch cable to see if it releases the lock.

Tim

Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 AM

I would definitely not try forcing it open, the hood is fiberglass and the cowel is plastic. You're going to start damaging things before the metal latch lets go.

Mine used to stick so I would have to pull the latch, grab the hood handles and yank upwards on the hood handles a few times then go back and pull the latch again and it would release.

In some instances I would need a second person to put slight upward tension on the handles while I pulled the latch and the hood would easily release. I would try doing the two person method.

Once you get it open be sure to adjust the position of the latch. I finally gave in and adjusted mine and now when I hit the latch the hood actually pops up like normal hoods do lol.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
LOL - I had one on the back drivers side and another on front pass side. When I did the headers 3 more broke off for a total of 5 to extract. The only one that fought me and ultimately won was the rear drivers side one. Ended up putting the clamp thing back on that one on the new headers. Works just fine and sort of wish I had given up 4 hours of fighting it sooner.

Just be VERY careful prying or straining that fiberglass hood too much. You damn sure dont want to have to replace that....
yeah well that's kind of part of the problem right I have to be so delicate with that engine hood they're not exactly easy to find nowadays and obviously mine is white matches my truck and my trucks in perfect shape I've got a fair bit of money into it and I definitely don't want to damage the damn thing so I'm going to try one of those inflatable airbag things that tow truck drivers use to get into vehicles and a 36-inch long skinny skinny flat head screwdriver I'm also going to buy one of those little cameras wire cameras that plug into your phone with a light on the end so I can see what the hell is going on in there and once I order all of that crap from Amazon and it shows up at my house I will go to it and let you know how it turned out

Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 AM
Default I definitely don't want to damage my front end trying to open this stuck engine Hood

Old 07-10-2018, 07:34 AM

soon as I get my inflatable airbag and my little miniature camera I'm going to go buy a 3-foot long skinny screwdriver and fix this problem

Old 07-10-2018, 01:47 PM

Nice looking H2,

Keep us posted on how you make out with the hood

Neal

Old 07-31-2018, 01:13 AM
Default Got my stuck engine hood open

Yeah I think I'm going to avoid the inner Fender all together wait for my little pump up air bags to arrive and try and get a gap big enough to stick a 2 foot long screwdriver in there little skinny one and I'll try and pick and pry on it and hopefully I can pop it open if not I'll use a 36-inch long skinny drill bit and drill the latch all apart soon as I get it open. Latch is coming off and going in the garbage.. yesterday I just finished putting one of those kral manifold bolt replacement devices on my back passenger manifold bolt that is broken off seems to be working really well the bummer of those things are so prone for breaking manifold bolts
I got my little air pump airbag thing from eBay today the thing that locksmiths use to get into your car when you forget your keys anyway I slid it in the gap between my engine Hood and the body started pumping and pumping and she popped right open took a look at my lach mechanism and it was all bent to crap going to fix it tomorrow at least the airbag pump worked for me give it a try anybody out there

Last edited by Gary Butler; 07-31-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:16 AM
Default Got it open

Originally Posted by legerwn
Nice looking H2,

Keep us posted on how you make out with the hood

Neal
little airbag pump thing worked great only cost like 10 bucks off of eBay the reason why it was stuck my hood must have closed a little crooked and it bent my locking mechanism all to hell but the airbag just forced it open didn't break anything just applied a lot of pressure and she popped

Old 07-31-2018, 06:35 AM

Excellent! At least nothing is broken and it sounds like you might be able to straighten things out too.

Quick Reply: Stuck shut engine Hood