Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Stuck shut engine Hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 AM
Default Stuck shut engine Hood

I have a 2003 H2 Hummer and I can't get my engine hood open my cable seems to be working fine it just won't open some sort of a malfunction in the latch mechanism I guess so I'm having a real dilemma how is a guy supposed to open an engine in it I pull the cable nothing happens I've tried we go Jago giving it a sharp right over top of the line I've tried everything for days and days does anybody out there have the answer I'm looking for how to open this darn Hood.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:31 AM

You did unhook the side latches didn't you?

Tim

Old 07-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by tharber
You did unhook the side latches didn't you?

Tim
You're joking right

Old 07-05-2018, 08:10 AM
Default pulling my cable and doing nothing

After pulling my cable that does work I can hear it at the engine hood and feel it working and I'm doing my hood latches on either side my engine Hood has been stuck 4 days kind of sucks cuz I want to replace my crank sensors

Last edited by Gary Butler; 07-31-2018 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Butler
After pulling my cable that does work I can hear it at the engine hood and feel it working and I'm doing my hood latches on either side my engine Hood has been stuck 4 days kind of sucks cuz I want to replace my crank sensors
sorry about the spelling errors I'm using voice text and it doesn't seem to be doing its job very good

Old 07-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Maybe physically hold an pull on the cable itself some while you are pulling the latch to see if you can get a tiny bit more pull on it or take the inside handle loose to try and pull on it some more by the actual cable end. Or maybe have someone trying to lift the hood while you are pulling the handle.

The mechanism is mounted to the firewall a bit towards the drivers side of the engine. Only other thing I can think would be to remove the drivers side wheel well liner and see if maybe that will give you some sort of access to get at it from the inside.

Either way I'd be looking closely at lubricating that latch and trying to determine what is causing that before fully relatching it.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Maybe physically hold an pull on the cable itself some while you are pulling the latch to see if you can get a tiny bit more pull on it or take the inside handle loose to try and pull on it some more by the actual cable end. Or maybe have someone trying to lift the hood while you are pulling the handle.

The mechanism is mounted to the firewall a bit towards the drivers side of the engine. Only other thing I can think would be to remove the drivers side wheel well liner and see if maybe that will give you some sort of access to get at it from the inside.

Either way I'd be looking closely at lubricating that latch and trying to determine what is causing that before fully relatching it.
yeah I've tried everything other than taking the inner fender well out I took the lodge off down on the kick panel grabbed onto it with some vice grips and tried giving in an extra little yank that didn't do anything I got my kid to hold the latch wide open at the kick panel while I gave it a couple good smacks outside hoping to logic free that did nothing I've wiggled it and wiggled it and jiggled it and the only thing I can think of is pull out the fender well which is going to be a nightmare that's where one of the fuse boxes is there's just a bunch of **** in the way

Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Butler
yeah I've tried everything other than taking the inner fender well out I took the lodge off down on the kick panel grabbed onto it with some vice grips and tried giving in an extra little yank that didn't do anything I got my kid to hold the latch wide open at the kick panel while I gave it a couple good smacks outside hoping to logic free that did nothing I've wiggled it and wiggled it and jiggled it and the only thing I can think of is pull out the fender well which is going to be a nightmare that's where one of the fuse boxes is there's just a bunch of **** in the way
the only thing I haven't tried is what another guy suggested and that's those air bags that they use for getting in your door when you forget your keys inside so I've already ordered a couple of those air bags with the little squeezy thing like when you get your blood pressure checked if I can try and Airlift it open a little bit without damaging anything get a long skinny screwdriver in there and maybe pop it. I'm going to give that a try all I know is when I do get it open I'm taking the latch off and for now on my hood is going to be closed with my side latches and that's it

Old 07-05-2018, 12:24 PM

If I remember right it was actually not too tough getting the wheel liner out. I took them out when I did my long tube headers. I also had the hood latch totally off when I did the knock sensors on mine to make it easier to pull the intake manifold. Never really did pay attention to what sort of access one might have if the thing is stuck though. I think the steering shaft will probably be the biggest obstacle coming from the drive side wheel opening but I could be wrong. It does give good access to the exhaust manifold. The hood latch is held on with two nuts on each side to the firewall.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Default Stuck hood lach

Yeah I think I'm going to avoid the inner Fender all together wait for my little pump up air bags to arrive and try and get a gap big enough to stick a 2 foot long screwdriver in there little skinny one and I'll try and pick and pry on it and hopefully I can pop it open if not I'll use a 36-inch long skinny drill bit and drill the latch all apart soon as I get it open. Latch is coming off and going in the garbage.. yesterday I just finished putting one of those kral manifold bolt replacement devices on my back passenger manifold bolt that is broken off seems to be working really well the bummer of those things are so prone for breaking manifold bolts

Quick Reply: Stuck shut engine Hood