Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Stainless braided brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:59 PM
Default Stainless braided brake lines

Well this corona thing has me making tons of repairs to my H2.

This weekend was a long one. I had purchased stainless braided brake lines months ago but just got around to installing them. While I was at it I also replaced my master cylinder. I figured why not. I replace the hydro boost a few months ago, so now its all new. I was amazed at how black the brake fluid was, even after I flushed it a year ago when I upgraded to slotted rotors.

So to the point, what a pain in the *** install! The front lines were easy to get to, however I have not figured out how to hold them in place, as the factory brackets won't work. If you've gotten into this you know what I mean. The rears started out easy until I got to the lines running from the body to the rear end. Geez it took forever and I ended up pulling out all of the brake lines in order to attached the new braided lines to the hard lines. It took a few jugs of fluid to bleed the system but well worth it as I think I managed to get rid of all the old black fluid.

So I took it for a ride before master cylinder and it was almost a night and day difference in pedal pressure and stopping force. I was happy.

Then the master cylinder.........what a pain in the ***. Do not do this unless you have access to a scanner that will allow you to do an ABS bleed. I struggled for hours with my Might Vac tool to get the air out of the system...it was a no go. Finally I went up and purchased a $299.99 scanner that would do the auto matic ABS bleed. It still took about an hour but it got the job done.

My final thoughts are it was all worth while. These are heavy, heavy trucks as we know and people think we can stop on a dime. At this point, I can stop much quicker and safer than before. Pedal feel is better than my wifes BMW and about equal to my Vette.....so I'm a happy camper.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM

That sounds like a great project, the rotors and red calipers look really nice. I bet it makes you smile every time you step on the brakes from now on.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:36 PM

I bled all my brakes first and then replaced the master cylinder but didnt use the tool, i previously bench bled the mc, and went for a drive after and everything is perfect, brakes feel much better now. i know the proper way is to bleed with the new mc in place but it worked perfectly without that

Old 03-28-2020, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by apollo18
I bled all my brakes first and then replaced the master cylinder but didnt use the tool, i previously bench bled the mc, and went for a drive after and everything is perfect, brakes feel much better now. i know the proper way is to bleed with the new mc in place but it worked perfectly without that
I tried the same thing but still had to go thru the abs bleed. I have full pedal now which I never had. Glad yours worked out!

Tim