Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

SRS Drivers Side Air Bag Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Default SRS Drivers Side Air Bag Help!!!

Could anyone help me with the replacement of the SRS Air Bag on the steering wheel?
Preferrably with pictures. I have one to replace and I understand that it is easy but I do best with pictures and a first walk through.
Mucho thanks for anyone who can help

Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM

Hey CSI H2
Sorry I dont have any pictures, but I can pretty much walk you through it from memory
Its way easy!!!
I was working on my buddies Chevy Silverado a while back... and it is basically the same wheel.....
So here you go....

You only need a small screwdriver or allen/hex key and a pair of small pliers/ needlenose pliers

There are two small holes on the side of the steering wheel, just behind the front curve of the wheel... really you cant miss them... they are roughly at the 3 and 9 o'clock position
I took a small allen/hex key (but I guess you can do the same with a small screwdriver) and inserted it into the two small holes on the steering wheel.
I pushed a little while pulling on the closest corner of the air bag.... it released that side. I held that side out while doing the same thing to the other side... it popped out and immediately the bag was released.
There is one wire harness (yellow, I believe) that should be connected and holding it on. This harness has a small clip. You can see the tabs on it easily.... You probably can push the tabs in with your thumb and forefinger, but I used the needlenose pliers to press the tabs together and gently pulled.
It released and voila!!! the air bag is released.
Now, just plug in your new bag (just watch the plug because it is setup to only go in a specific way, but again you can mess it up because it is just lining up the plug), and just re-insert the bag assembly into the wheel and it will click and done.

Youre welcome!!

Hope this helps

Old 08-09-2019, 03:16 PM

Also important best practice. First remove the SIR fuse..... Put that fuse back in after. I've replaced them myself without doing so but it is not advisable.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
Also important best practice. First remove the SIR fuse..... Put that fuse back in after. I've replaced them myself without doing so but it is not advisable.
Smart move, disable during replacement.